Skip to main content

Wings over paradise

It is 127am and I have decided to write. I have no idea what I want to write about. God is on my mind. God is near. We are nothing without God. Earlier I had accidentally typed nnn and was trying to put some meaning to this. I went to a random word generator and waited for the third n-word which was number. I then thought to myself that maybe nnn stands for the ninety nine names of Allah. Now I ask myself what is the origin of the 99 names of Allah?

My friend Chatty tells me that the 99 names of Allah originate from the Quran, which teaches that God has "the most beautiful names" and from a well-known hadith stating that Allah has ninety-nine names whose understanding leads to spiritual closeness; however, neither the Quran nor the Prophet provided a single fixed list, so scholars later derived the names from Quranic verses and authentic sayings, creating slightly different compilations, all meant not to limit God, but to help believers reflect on His attributes and draw nearer to Him.

I closed my eyes and selected 1 of the 99 names and got Al-Muhaymin (The Protector). This name is mentioned once in the Quran in verse 23 of surah Hashr. Protector can be thought of like a bird using its wing to protect its chicks. My friend Chatty tells me that this name conveys the meaning of the One who watches over, safeguards, and preserves all creation with complete awareness and care. It reflects Allah's constant presence as Protector and Overseer, not only defending from harm but also maintaining order, balance, and truth. The image of a bird sheltering its chicks under its wings beautifully captures this name's essence: gentle yet powerful protection, where nothing escapes divine knowledge and nothing is left unattended.

It has started raining. A nice addition to my early morning writing. The arabic word for wing is janah and the arabic word for paradise is jannah. That is 3 n's between them. I wonder what is the connection between janah and jannah? My friend Chatty says that while they stem from different linguistic roots, they mirror one another spiritually: a wing (janah) folds over to shield and hide the vulnerable, just as the garden of paradise (jannah) is defined by a lush canopy that covers and provides a sanctuary of peace. Do you not find that the number 9 is shaped like a wing? And the number 9 mirrored vertically forms two wings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...