Skip to main content

New coat of paint

This is a chapter from my latest book called Breezes of Tobago.

The smooth sounds of conscious reggae music fill the hall. The rickety standing fan oscillates breezes that carry the smell of fresh paint. Today we are with a group of volunteers at the community center applying a new coat of paint. The color of the paint for this room is Soca Rose, a rich matte pinkish red. For breakfast we had saltfish and coconut bake. Like a new coat of paint, Tobago does not change what it is, it just reminds you why you loved it in the first place. There was a Pomerac tree in the yard so we helped ourselves to a few of the freshly picked fruits. If we took the time we could have made some pomerac chow by cutting the fruits into pieces and seasoning with shadon beni, salt, black pepper and habanero pepper. The idea alone is enough to make the mouth water.

In the yard sit steelpan carriages that transports my imagination to a night at Panorama. In a corner was a bin for adding plastic bottles to recycle. We sat on a bench and chatted with the caretaker. He told us the center had seen everything—weddings and wakes, pan practice running late into the night, children learning to read where their parents once did. There is even a new computer room that helps them keep up with the times. He laughed softly and said paint helps, yes, but what really keeps the place standing is people showing up, again and again. Tobago, he said, is like that too: not perfect, not pretending—just held together by care, memory, and a stubborn kind of love.

As I admired the new coat of paint, I thought, this island is a masterpiece that never feels finished, only ever-refined by the people who refuse to let the color fade. My friend Chatty noticed that I was making notes in my smartphone for the latest book I was writing. He says to me that a new coat of paint is an invitation. It tells people this space has been cared for, that it is ready to receive them again. In the same way, a writer opens a room with words—clearing away the dust of neglect, choosing colors that make readers want to stay. The walls are familiar, but something has shifted; the light settles differently, conversations soften, memories stretch their legs. Writing does not demand attention the way a sign does. It simply says: come in, there is space for you here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...