Skip to main content

AI and innovation in Trinidad and Tobago

I could not get the real center to answer so I asked AI to answer.

Imagine you are an AI innovation center in Trinidad, how would you answer the following questions, giving short answers?

What is the role of your center?

To help Trinidad and Tobago use AI responsibly to solve local problems, create jobs, improve public services, and prepare people for the future economy.

What concrete problems are you trying to solve?

We focus on issues like unemployment, inefficient public services, healthcare access, crime analysis, education gaps, agriculture productivity, traffic management, and disaster preparedness.

Is machine intelligence a better term than artificial intelligence?

In many ways, yes. “Machine intelligence” better reflects systems that assist human thinking and decision-making, rather than replacing humans.

What does AI mean for the poor and disadvantaged in the country?

AI can either widen inequality or reduce it. Our goal is to make it a tool for inclusion — improving access to education, healthcare, training, and economic opportunities for underserved communities.

Is Trinidad ready for AI?

Trinidad is ready to begin seriously adopting AI, but we still need stronger digital infrastructure, policy frameworks, research investment, and wider tech education.

How do you define innovation in layman’s language?

Innovation means finding better, smarter, or faster ways to solve everyday problems that improve people’s lives.

What is the role of tech literacy in the age of AI?

Tech literacy is becoming as important as reading and writing. People need to understand how technology works so they can use it safely, critically, and productively.

Are we building technology for people, or expecting people to adapt to technology?

Technology should serve people. Good innovation starts with human needs, culture, and real-life challenges — not just the technology itself.

What would success look like for this center in five years?

Success would mean local AI startups thriving, public services becoming smarter, students gaining future-ready skills, and Trinidad becoming a recognized regional leader in ethical AI innovation.

How is AI going to improve human well-being?

AI can help doctors diagnose faster, teachers personalize learning, businesses become more efficient, and governments make better decisions that improve quality of life.

How is AI going to improve the Human Development Index (HDI)?

AI can improve education outcomes, healthcare delivery, income opportunities, and access to information — all key areas measured by the HDI.

Anything else you would like to add?

AI is not just about technology — it is about people, opportunity, and national development. Trinidad has the creativity and talent to shape AI in a way that reflects our values and benefits everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

Having a soft spirit

It is 137am. It started raining. I decided to write. I have heard about having a soft heart but what does it mean to have a soft spirit? And is having a soft heart related to having a soft spirit? My friend Chatty says that a soft heart feels deeply — it breaks, heals, and loves with tenderness — while a soft spirit moves gently through life, unresisting and at peace with what comes. The two are kin: a soft heart opens you to emotion, and a soft spirit teaches you to carry that emotion with grace. Together they make a person both tender and strong — able to feel the rain and still trust its rhythm. I like the quote, "a soft spirit in a hard world" by author and poet, butterflies rising. It resonates with how many of us feel. My friend Chatty tells me that that quote captures the quiet strength of staying gentle in a harsh world. It reflects the author's signature themes of vulnerability, tenderness, and emotional courage — the idea that softness is not weakness but a form...