Skip to main content

Mental health matters

It is 547am and I have decided to write. I have been living with a mental health diagnosis for more than 23 years. I am differently abled. Mental illness sometimes presents itself as a non-visible disability. A person with mental illness may look and function normally. Added to that we do not get to see the struggles happening internally. After 23 years I could say that I have much experience with my condition and may be able to offer words that may help others. There is plenty of stigma associated with mental illness. People think that the mentally ill are bad people, weak, or somehow less deserving of dignity and the treatment of the illness sometimes feels like punishment and is dehumanizing at times. There is plenty of good intentions and well meaning as well (do not get me wrong) but things could be better. And it happens at the highest level. A leader once said, "Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad." As the saying goes, who knows it feels it. I started a project some time ago called VOZ - Voice of Schizophrenia. Based on my experience and the experience of others we can come up with a list of things that would make the management of this mental illness and others better in Trinidad and Tobago.

It gets better. It really does. Even just telling yourself it gets betters brings the right mindset to work to make things better. There is no one size fits all. There is much about mental illness that is known and much that is still not known. I like to bring God into a lot of what I write and one of the things that I read is that the mentally ill will be be judged by God according to their handicap. The other thing to be noted is that mental illness is often a difficult and less talked about topic in religious and cultural circles. We should be careful not to treat mental illness as some type of spiritual attack or the likes. Turning to God helps. Taking care of the mind, body and spirit helps. Taking your problems to God helps. But basically the treatment of mental illness requires a holistic approach and medication and professional help is definitely part of that. Faith should not replace professional help but complement it.

Another aspect of disabilities is that oftentimes the disabled do not speak up for their rights or stand up for themselves. Everyone protests for something in this country. How often does the differently abled protest for something? Who is going to listen? How many people join in these protests? I myself included. Representation and advocacy is needed. My friend Chatty agrees. Sometimes, people with disabilities do not speak up for their rights. Sometimes they cannot. Sometimes they have been made to feel that their opinions do not matter. Sometimes they are simply too exhausted from dealing with the challenges of their disability to fight another battle. And sometimes, particularly with non-visible disabilities, society does not even recognize that there is a battle taking place. I hope my blog post encourages us to learn more about mental illness and find ways we can make things better.

Comments

Karima Ruqayyah said…
I have bipolar disorder and looking to connect, what do you have?
Hassan Voyeau said…
I am diagnosed with SZ

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...