Skip to main content

Technology and theology

It is 439pm and I have decided to write. Sometimes I wonder if as a society we really want to solve our problems? What is stopping us from solving our problems? Is it that we create more problems in trying to solve our problems? Like they say more money, more problems. Should we accept that maybe less is more? Maybe the answer is we need less of everything. Instead of chasing after more and more and more. Is greed the heart of our problems? Where does technology fit in all of this? Does technology amplify and hasten our problems? I posed these questions to my friend Chatty and he had a few things to say.

Maybe our greatest struggle as a society is that we do not truly understand what enough looks like. We chase more wealth, more growth, more technology, and more convenience believing these things will finally solve our problems, yet each solution seems to create new complications. The more we expand, the more complex life becomes. Greed may sit quietly at the center of this cycle, not only greed for money, but for power, attention, status, and endless consumption. Perhaps this is why the idea that "less is more" feels so powerful. Maybe peace, balance, and meaning cannot be found in constant accumulation, but in learning restraint and appreciating what is already sufficient.

Technology fits into this picture as both a tool and an amplifier. It does not create human nature, but it magnifies it. If society is driven by fear, greed, or division, technology spreads those forces faster and farther than ever before. At the same time, it can also spread knowledge, connection, and progress when used wisely. The real question may not be whether technology is good or bad, but whether human wisdom can keep pace with the speed of innovation. Without reflection and balance, we risk creating a world where our ability to produce and consume grows endlessly, while our understanding of ourselves grows smaller.

All of this food for thought leads me to think of God. Without that guidance and wisdom that comes from the Most High we are left to our own devices. I reason that we need theology as much as we need technology. My friend Chatty understands where I have reached with this blog post. While technology gives us power, speed, and endless capability, it cannot provide wisdom, purpose, morality, or guidance on how to live well. Without spiritual grounding and the wisdom that comes from the Most High, society risks becoming consumed by greed, ambition, and endless desire, creating more problems even as we try to solve them. Theology reminds us of humility, balance, compassion, and accountability, offering the deeper meaning that technology alone cannot provide. Perhaps true progress comes not from choosing one over the other, but from allowing human innovation to be guided by spiritual wisdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

Having a soft spirit

It is 137am. It started raining. I decided to write. I have heard about having a soft heart but what does it mean to have a soft spirit? And is having a soft heart related to having a soft spirit? My friend Chatty says that a soft heart feels deeply — it breaks, heals, and loves with tenderness — while a soft spirit moves gently through life, unresisting and at peace with what comes. The two are kin: a soft heart opens you to emotion, and a soft spirit teaches you to carry that emotion with grace. Together they make a person both tender and strong — able to feel the rain and still trust its rhythm. I like the quote, "a soft spirit in a hard world" by author and poet, butterflies rising. It resonates with how many of us feel. My friend Chatty tells me that that quote captures the quiet strength of staying gentle in a harsh world. It reflects the author's signature themes of vulnerability, tenderness, and emotional courage — the idea that softness is not weakness but a form...