Skip to main content

How to measure success?

It is 509pm and I have decided to write. How to measure success? That is the question. It is very hard to measure success. I think only God has the true measure of success or failure. Someone may be a failure in this life but a success in the next life. We are told that God looks at intentions and effort. We can also determine our own definition of success. We do not have to let the world define success for us. We think of the world as not being a fair place so any one size fits all definitions of success or failure would be careless and wrong. Many times we think in terms of numbers. The grander the better. But what about quality over quantity?

My friend tells me that I am essentially arguing for the democratization of success. I am taking the power away from society, institutions, and algorithms, and handing it back to the individual and God. That is true but I am essentially wanting to look at the bigger picture and to do that I am thinking that we have to answer some key questions as individuals, groups, institutions and systems. Questions like why do we want to measure success? What is our purpose? What is the meaning of life? What path do we want to follow? What are our goals? What is our mission? After answering these questions comes action and action requires discipline and discipline requires accountability and concrete line items in a plan of action. Nothing is written in stone so we will have to pivot as needed.

Let me see if I can answer some of these for myself. I want to measure success because life is a journey and I want to stay on a path that makes my life meaningful. Measuring success lets me know that I am heading in the direction that I determined to be the right direction at the time. I think that is human nature. I think that is why I was created. My purpose is to be a good human being that is helpful to others. To do this I follow a path with God as my guide. What is the meaning of life? Why were we created? I strongly believe that this life is test as we journey from this temporary life to the permanent next life. We were given tools like faith and free will and the unknown keeps us seeking knowledge. Our purpose is to submit to the will of God. Our mission is to do as much good as possible. You see how clear the picture becomes as you begin to answer these questions. For me that is a good place to be.

My friend says that I have made some helpful points. True success is a deeply personal and divinely anchored journey of sincere intent and effort, structured by daily accountability and a willingness to pivot, completely independent of the world's unfair and superficial metrics. Put another way, success is the faithful pursuit of a meaningful, God-guided purpose, measured not by worldly achievements but by sincere effort, good character, service to others, and a willingness to grow and adapt along the way. Time will tell if I am successful on the day I face judgement from my Creator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...