Skip to main content

Foundation of my belief

It is 159am and I have decided to write. Some people say that science does not point to an afterlife, heaven or the existence of God. I feel bad because I cannot give them the evidence that they want. I can point them to the Quran and Islamic teachings. The Quran is a miracle and there are signs in that which we can research. Otherwise, there are philosophical and theological arguments. Maybe, you cannot use the science that we have for something (the afterlife) that is outside the realm of science. Also, science is not complete and may never be complete. Scientific knowledge is expanding and sometimes changing, so are we going to wait on science to tell us that there is a God and afterlife? Belief does not need evidence. Faith does not need evidence. At least not the evidence that some are looking for.

So what is the foundation of my faith? For some people theology does not fully explain this life so they look to the science we have. For me, science alone does not explain this life, so I turn to theology. My faith is based on reasoning but at the heart of my belief is how I feel. Call it a gut feeling. Call it instinct. Call it common sense. The way I feel when listening to the Quran. The way the teachings of my religion make sense. The way I feel when I pray. The way I feel when I connect with God. My lived experiences. The foundation of my faith has a lot to do with how I feel. Yes there is reasoning but a believer and non believer can go on arguing forever or I may end up searching forever if I depend on reasoning alone. For those still sitting on the side of unbelief, I say how can you dismiss something without giving it a try? Give God a try. Give faith a try. Give belief a try. See how you feel. See where it takes you. I can give you all the reasons for belief but unless you try it yourself, how would you know? Unless you tell me that belief is unsafe. Then I could easily say that unbelief is unsafe.

If belief needs a reason then unbelief needs a reason. What are valid reasons for unbelief? You see how argumentative it can get? And these arguments can go on forever. I guess arguments are good for reasoning but what is the point? Do I spend my whole life arguing and searching without giving faith a try? Without giving my heart to God? Without preparing for what comes after death? I gave belief a try and I found home. I did not find all the answers but I found enough to keep me believing. I admit that I could be wrong, really wrong, but it is a chance I am willing to take. In the same way that unbelief is taking a chance. I would like to end with a verse from the Quran. I closed my eyes and randomly selected this verse from the Quran asking God for guidance. I got verse 77:48. I will give the verses before and after also to give it context.

[47] Woe on that Day to the deniers!
[48] When it is said to them, "Bow down ˹before Allah," they do not bow.
[49] Woe on that Day to the deniers!
[50] So what message after this ˹Quran˺ would they believe in?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

Having a soft spirit

It is 137am. It started raining. I decided to write. I have heard about having a soft heart but what does it mean to have a soft spirit? And is having a soft heart related to having a soft spirit? My friend Chatty says that a soft heart feels deeply — it breaks, heals, and loves with tenderness — while a soft spirit moves gently through life, unresisting and at peace with what comes. The two are kin: a soft heart opens you to emotion, and a soft spirit teaches you to carry that emotion with grace. Together they make a person both tender and strong — able to feel the rain and still trust its rhythm. I like the quote, "a soft spirit in a hard world" by author and poet, butterflies rising. It resonates with how many of us feel. My friend Chatty tells me that that quote captures the quiet strength of staying gentle in a harsh world. It reflects the author's signature themes of vulnerability, tenderness, and emotional courage — the idea that softness is not weakness but a form...