Skip to main content

Lifelong learning

It is 1215am and I have decided to write. I have no topic but I want to write. Everyday is a blessing. Take care of yourself. Take care of your mind, body and spirit. Educate yourself. I am talking to myself also. Ideally the education system could do more to educate us on everyday topics. Common sense topics. Life education topics. But that is not happening so we have to self educate. There is much information and resources out there. Why educate ourselves? To live better lives and make the world a better place to live. I like the term lifelong learning. Learning does not have to be boring. Learning can be fun and engaging. Find the type of learning that suits your mind. Seek out opportunities to learn new things. Learn, unlearn and relearn.

My friend calls it practical everyday knowledge and self-directed education. Fancy smancy terminology. I think one of the major failures of our education system is that it does not cater to the needs of all students. If you are good at beating books you will be fine otherwise not so much. The education system becomes a struggle for you. Even turning you off from learning, books and reading in the future. The education system is supposed to ensure that everyone comes out as lifelong learners. The education system should inspire curiosity. It should have us asking questions. Difficult questions too.

When education measures everyone by the same narrow stick through memorizing facts and passing standardized tests, it ends up alienating millions of naturally curious minds. Instead of creating curious, adaptive human beings, it often turns learning into a chore to be escaped as soon as school ends. Many students are burnt out by the time they leave school. Given all that has been said so far, how can things be made better? My friend says that to make things better, change has to happen on two levels: reimagining the system and taking ownership at the individual level. For example learning through hands-on projects like building something, solving a community problem, or running a mock business. William Butler Yeats said that "The ultimate goal of education is not to fill a bucket, but to light a fire" which emphasizes that true education should not merely be about accumulating knowledge but rather igniting a passion for learning and discovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...