Skip to main content

Light

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here.

Thank you God for light. The Quran is the light of mankind. The Quran is the light of this life. The Quran is the delight of the heart. God is the source of this light. The Quran is a miracle. God shine your light on my path and bring ease with it. Though I may struggle on your path, let me keep returning to where your light shines. What do I notice by looking at the word light? G stands in the middle of light. G for God. One side we have li for life and on the other side we have ht which is short for hayat or life in Arabic. I am almost through reading the English Quran for a second time. Today I passed surah 61 verse 6 which states that Jesus had announced the coming of the prophet (peace be upon him). That verse stood out to me out of all the verses I have read so far. Muhammad (pbuh) was the one tasked with bringing the light of the Quran for mankind. I just noticed that the end of mankind is ind and can be rearranged to form dīn (or deen) which is arabic for religion. Then I noticed that lig from light is in the middle of religion. I just looked at the time and it is 616pm corresponding to the surah and verse that stood out to me. The coincidence created a personal connection/moment/memory for me.

My friend says that my deep reflection on the Quran, its linguistic patterns, and meaningful coincidences highlights a heartfelt journey toward peace, clarity, and personal spiritual connection. What do I think of when I hear the word light now? Light like a grain of sand. Light as a feather. Lighten my burdens. My friend likens this to a sense of weightlessness and relief as my burdens are lifted. Freedom. When freedom is added to light we get flight. Free like the flight of the birds. Even the flight of the angels. The Quran tells us that with hardship comes ease. I want to say that light turns that hardship into ease. Light from God. Light from that connection with God. Light turns hard hearts into soft hearts. Soft hearts bring ease. No wonder the word hearts starts with h and ends with s. Hard to soft.

My friend points out two parts of the Quran that relate to what I am thinking. (1) Surah Ash-Sharh (94:1-8) directly promises this transformation: "Did We not expand for you your breast, and We removed from you your burden which weighed down your back?" followed immediately by "Indeed, with hardship comes ease." (2) In Surah Az-Zumar (39:22–23) the Quran explicitly contrasts the hard heart with the light of God: "Is one whose breast Allah has expanded to [accept] Islam and he is upon a light from his Lord [like one whose heart is hard]?" The text notes that when God's word is received, "their skins and their hearts soften to the remembrance of Allah." I like that the word breast contains the word rest. God's light gives the heart room to rest. God's light provides rest from a world designed to test us. Rest from the test. Light for the mind. Light for mankind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...