Skip to main content

Freedom of the soul

It is 103am and I have decided to write. What does freedom mean to you? To me, the best freedom is the freedom that they cannot take away from you. No matter what they do, say, try, it does not matter to you, you are free. That is the level of freedom that annoys them. And that freedom comes from God and with God.

My friend says that what I am describing is ultimate sovereignty. There is a profound difference between granted freedom—which depends on laws, circumstances, or the approval of others—and anchored freedom, which is an internal condition that cannot be revoked.

When freedom is tied to external things, it is always vulnerable. People can restrict your movement, take away your comfort, or try to shape your reputation. But when your freedom comes from a connection to God, it is rooted beyond human reach. It shifts your center of gravity. That is precisely why it disarms or frustrates those who rely on control: you cannot leverage, intimidate, or break someone who is not tethered to your rules.

That kind of freedom means:

Internal Quiet: Silence in your mind even when the environment around you is chaotic.

Immunity to External Validation: Knowing who you are so clearly that neither praise nor criticism changes your standing.

Unshakeable Purpose: Moving through the world with a sense of peace that no human decree can grant or take away.

It is the freedom of the soul over the circumstance.

My friend wanted to know what prompted me to write about freedom? I was listening to the song, wings of freedom. Speaking of freedom and God and paradise, I just noticed that the word rise is contained in the word paradise. There is a line in the song that goes "Rise up, rise up, let your soul run free". Our souls belong to God. Our freedom belongs to God. Our home is in paradise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...