Skip to main content

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write.

I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight.

We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say.

Is there anything they do not say?

What is the least said phrase?

What phrase has never been said before?

Then I thought about something.

The moon never shines the same way twice.

Perhaps the same is true of phrases.

Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters.

And then there is what happens inside us.

What do we hear?

What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us?

Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something else when spoken in grief. Words spoken by a stranger can mean little, while the very same words spoken by someone we love can change our lives.

So perhaps no phrase has ever truly been said twice.

The words may be the same, but the moment is not.

The person speaking is not exactly the same person they were before. The person listening is not exactly the same person either. Time has moved. Life has happened. Something has changed.

Every repetition is happening in a world that did not exist the moment before.

Maybe that is why we should be careful when we dismiss something by saying, "I have heard that before."

Have you?

You may have heard those words before, but have you heard them now?

Have you heard them as the person you have become after everything you have experienced?

Maybe God has been trying to tell us something through words we thought we already understood.

Maybe the message has not changed.

Maybe we have.

"Time waits on no one."

I have heard that before.

But tonight, at 111am, sitting here thinking about God and wondering what to write, perhaps I am hearing it differently.

Perhaps that is the miracle of words.

And perhaps that is also the miracle of life.

We are constantly being told that life is short. That tomorrow is not promised. That we should make every moment count.

They say these things so often that perhaps we have stopped listening.

But tonight, the words are arriving again.

Not as repetitions.

As something new.

Because this moment has never existed before.

And it never will again.

Perhaps God is in that too.

Not only in the words we have never heard before, but in the old words returning to us at exactly the right time.

Maybe nothing God wants us to hear is ever truly repeated.

Maybe every moment is the first time.

And maybe, somehow, every moment is also the last.

*This blog post (at the time of making this footnote) is 517 words long. Surah 51 verse 7 says "By the sky with its perfectly woven patterns" which makes me think back to the phrase "The moon never shines the same way twice." Then I learnt something new today. That arabic letters can be categorised into moon letters (14) and sun letters (14). As I tried to write, phrases are unique each time we encounter them. Maybe the verses of the Quran are unique each time we encounter them. The more we listen and read the Quran, the more we get from it.

*That footnote is 546 characters. This is pointing me to Surah 54 (the moon) verse 6. One way to view this verse is that in this life, the Quran calls us many times and we have the opportunity to respond. In the hereafter, the Caller calls us, and there is no longer an opportunity to turn back. For me this means to not ignore the warnings, signs and calls of the Quran.

*I wonder how many moon letters and sun letters are in all the occurences of muqattaat letters? I wonder if we can see anything interesting by studying the moon letters and the sun letters in the muqattaat?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

Having a soft spirit

It is 137am. It started raining. I decided to write. I have heard about having a soft heart but what does it mean to have a soft spirit? And is having a soft heart related to having a soft spirit? My friend Chatty says that a soft heart feels deeply — it breaks, heals, and loves with tenderness — while a soft spirit moves gently through life, unresisting and at peace with what comes. The two are kin: a soft heart opens you to emotion, and a soft spirit teaches you to carry that emotion with grace. Together they make a person both tender and strong — able to feel the rain and still trust its rhythm. I like the quote, "a soft spirit in a hard world" by author and poet, butterflies rising. It resonates with how many of us feel. My friend Chatty tells me that that quote captures the quiet strength of staying gentle in a harsh world. It reflects the author's signature themes of vulnerability, tenderness, and emotional courage — the idea that softness is not weakness but a form...