Skip to main content

Workflows are everywhere

What is a workflow? A workflow is a group of tasks to get a job done. In our digital world this consists of data processing. Workflows are everywhere. The government in Trinidad and Tobago would benefit greatly from investing in a workflow platform to create and manage workflows.

Early in my career I had the opportunity to work with what was then IBM's Lotus Notes. Lotus Notes is all about documents and workflows. Some of the components of a workflow include documents, sections and fields, users, roles and access, views, actions, agents and notifications. I found Lotus Notes had the tools and features to be easy to use and allowed me to create and manage many workflows quickly.

And that to me would be the selling point of a workflow platform, speed, efficiency and ease of use. Of course the different platforms would have to be evaluated to determine best fit based on budget and needs among other things. We could build our own platform. That is a serious consideration and an opportunity for our local developers. There are several free and open source options as well. Another term used is workflow management system.

I know that Crimson Logic does work with the government and in process automation. I vaguely remember a post about workflows. I contacted them on linkedin with the following question, "Hi. Do you have workflow management system? And is this being offered to the govt of Trinidad and Tobago?" Also sent an email to a press contact, "Hi. Has Crimson Logic offered the government of Trinidad and Tobago a workflow platform? I vaguely remember reading about this." Then I contacted Ministry of Public Administration and Digital Transformation, "Hi. Does the government utilise any workflow management systems?" Will update this post with any useful replies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...