Skip to main content

E-waste in Trinidad and Tobago

What is e-waste? E-waste is short for electronic waste. It is unwanted electronic products. That older mobile phone with the broken screen sitting in your desk drawer ready to be thrown out is an example of e-waste. E-waste contains metals and chemicals that can be harmful to human health and the environment. Our aim should be to dispose properly and reduce, reuse and recycle.

A heaping 53.6 million metric tonnes (Mt) of electronic waste was generated worldwide in 2019. That is an increase of 21 per cent in just five years. This is according to the UN’s Global E-waste Monitor 2020. The report also states that only 17.4% of 2019’s e-waste was collected and recycled. 14th October each year is International E-waste Day coordinated by the WEEE Forum and its members which focuses on highlighting the profile of the e-waste issue.

How are we treating with e-waste in Trinidad and Tobago? There is no specific e-waste legislation or policy but we do have a general and dated (2015) National Waste Recycling Policy and then the Waste Management Rules (2021). We have the EMA (Environmental Management Authority) and IMA (Institute of Marine Affairs) doing their usual to protect the environment. We have the Basel Convention Regional Centre for Training and Technology Transfer for the Caribbean (located in Trinidad) who conducted an E-waste Assessment in 2013. They are currently conducting a survey on e-waste and when I saw that, it prompted me to write this blog post and share the survey on the Trinidad and Tobago reddit.

When I Google "ewaste in Trinidad" I see that there are several companies offering e-waste disposal services locally. The local media has written about the topic and there are some e-waste projects like RSC's project RIDE. What are some things that other Caribbean countries are doing? Jamaica is developing an E-waste Disposal Programme. The Caribbean e-Waste Management Inc. is located in Barbados. In 2019 an e-waste survey was conducted by Miss Penelope DeFreitas of the University of Guyana.

My research for this topic is showing that we in Trinidad and Tobago and the Caribbean are aware of the problem and surrounding issues and are working on solutions but not enough is being done. We in Trinidad and Tobago need to wake up and smell the coffee and take action now. Educate the population and provide options for e-waste disposal and recycling. E-waste management can also be a revenue earner for the country. I have emailed the Ministry of Digital Transformation and asked, "What is the Ministry's position on ewaste and what is going to be done for ewaste?" I also invited BCRC-Caribbean to take part in a Q and A for the blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...