Skip to main content

Belove

I was scrolling through facebook and saw a post by the Martin Luther King Jr page that said be love. "Love is the most durable power in the world." Belove is so close to belief. Like belove could mean to believe in love if we wanted it to (belove = belief + love). I belove. Belove can also be combined from below and above. (belove = below + above). I love equations and how easily they can express something. This led me to researching the phrase "as above, so below" which I have heard before but never fully understood and researched. My friend Gemini tells me that the principle "As above, so below" originates from Hermeticism and suggests a correspondence between the heavens and the earth, the macrocosm and the microcosm, and the divine and the human. It implies that what happens in the heavens is mirrored in the earthly realm, and that the inner world of a person reflects the larger cosmic order, often attributed to the Emerald Tablet, a short Hermetic text that contains alchemical and philosophical principles.

It sounds like something worth considering and exploring but I am a Muslim so I feel conflicted. How is this idea represented in Islam? My friend Chatty gives one perspective. In Islam, the idea of interconnectedness between the heavens (above) and the earth (below) aligns with the Quranic emphasis on creation as a reflection of Allah's wisdom and power. The verse "We will show them Our signs in the horizons and within themselves" (Quran 41:53) suggests parallels between the external universe and the inner human experience, pointing to the oneness of God (Tawhid). Islamic scholars like Ibn Arabi also explored the relationship between the macrocosm (universe) and the microcosm (human). While "As above, so below" originates from Hermeticism, maybe I can appreciate the concept as long as it reinforces faith in Allah and His divine order.

This has me thinking. There is a below and an above but what about the middle? How does it fit with my thought exploration? My friend Chatty also chimed in on this. The middle represents balance and connection, where the "above" (divine) and "below" (earthly) meet. In Islam, it reflects the idea of the balanced path (Wasatiyyah), as emphasized in “We have made you a middle nation” (Quran 2:143). Humans embody this middle state, being both earthly (clay) and divine (spirit) (Quran 15:29), with the heart as the central point where divine guidance and worldly existence converge. The middle, then, is the space of harmony, reflection, and unity, bridging the realms of belief, love, and understanding.

I like where this has led me. In between belief and love stands understanding. My friend Chatty puts it nicely. That's a profound insight. Understanding serves as the bridge between belief and love, harmonizing faith and emotion. Belief gives structure and purpose, love fuels connection and compassion, and understanding deepens both by providing clarity and empathy. Together, they form a powerful triad where belief anchors, love inspires, and understanding integrates, creating a balanced and meaningful way of engaging with the self, others, and the divine. We talk about the power of love often but there is also the power of understanding. And if there is understanding then there is also overstanding. My friend Chatty says that overstanding could symbolize a higher perspective—seeing beyond understanding to grasp the bigger picture, transcending boundaries and limitations to achieve wisdom and clarity. I like that word. Wisdom. Which leads me to my last equation (the mind = the middle).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...