Skip to main content

Beat the heat

This is another page from my ninth book called "Dear God". I was inspired to write this book after writing "I am voting for God" on my blog. It continues in that format. Short letters (or prayers) to God. It gives me an opportunity to write more and write to God at different moments in my life.
___________________

Dear God,

I just napped. The AC is on and the fan is on to beat the heat. They hum like a beating heart. The bright sunlight is shining through the window. I was thinking. I was thinking that You are the cleaner of hearts. Through You we let go of all that is bad for our heart and embrace all that is good. We lean on You for strength, guidance and love. You are the maker of good hearts. We are told in hadith that if the heart is sound, the entire body is sound, and if corrupt, the entire body is corrupt.

I notice that the word heart has the word heat contained in it. With Your help, we want to remove the uncomfortable heat of the heart and leave only what is r-ight. This uncomfortable heat manifests as several things including anger, envy, grudges and desires. This heat can eat from our goodness and can consume our peace, cloud our judgment, and distance us from Your path. That path that is away from the fire and towards heavenly rest.

I also notice that the word heart has the word hear in it. A reminder to us that You hear what is in our hearts and that we should make that sound pleasing to You. A sound heart as the hadith mentions. A heart that beats with Your remembrance. A heart that is grateful. A heart that is forgiving. A heart filled with empathy. A heart that is right in Your sight. Too much heat is bad but so too is a cold heart, metaphorically speaking. We want a warm heart that is in the middle and just right. As the saying goes, keep a cool head and a warm heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...