Skip to main content

Knocking on heaven's door

This is another page from my ninth book called "Dear God". I was inspired to write this book after writing "I am voting for God" on my blog. It continues in that format. Short letters (or prayers) to God. It gives me an opportunity to write more and write to God at different moments in my life.
___________________

Dear God,

I read something online and it has me thinking about what it means, "Prayer is the key to heaven but faith unlocks the door". I do not understand the analogy. Maybe I do not understand the relationship between faith and prayer good enough. Gemini asked me to forget the analogy and in my own understanding, say what role does prayer play, and what role does faith play in that connection? To me, prayer is talking to God and building a relationship between me and God. Faith tells me that God exists and that I can pray to Him. Based on the analogy someone can pray and do everything required to get into heaven without faith. Unless faith is also a requirement and then the analogy becomes faith and prayer and good deeds combined is the key to heaven and then I would understand. So then what unlocks the door? I would say that God's judgement unlocks the door.

Maybe the analogy is trying to say that faith and prayer are the same thing and we cannot have one without the other. And then it clicked to me like a door whose lock was just opened. It is just an analogy that is not meant to be taken literally. It is just saying to me that prayer works with faith. Maybe I can look at it this way - the key to heaven is prayer and the key to prayer is faith. I think I just made my understanding of the analogy worse because what does the unlocking?

How about if faith is the key and it is prayer that unlocks the door? Who decides this? What does Islam say? What does the Quran say? Now this introduces a new variable to mix. The relationship between faith and religion and everything else. Coming to think about it, faith decides a lot. Maybe even everything. Even if I say that God's judgement unlocks the door, that judgement is based on things that are based on our faith. Faith gives the key shape.

Makes me remember my chapter titled "the shape of faith" and adds new meaning to that chapter. The corners of the star from that chapter are like the teeth of the key. Imagine a star shaped key and a star shaped keyhole. This has me thinking about something I have come to learn. There is a surah in the Quran (86) that some say talks about the knocking star and I have seen the first verse translated by some as "By the heavens and the knocking star". This has me thinking about knocking on heaven’s door and I think that would be another good way to look at this. Prayer is like knocking on heaven’s door and faith is the sound that the knocking makes that allows God to hear us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...