Skip to main content

Life is like a box

This is another page from my ninth book called "Dear God". I was inspired to write this book after writing "I am voting for God" on my blog. It continues in that format. Short letters (or prayers) to God. It gives me an opportunity to write more and write to God at different moments in my life.
___________________

Dear God,

It is 707am. Yesterday I had a thought that once you start moving towards God you start seeing God in everything. It becomes a focal point. It becomes your reason for everything. Your heart is content. Your mind is clear. It gets better. I look through the window and I see the clear blue morning sky. You woke me up. I am here for another day. I am grateful. I want to share my thoughts with You and any readers I have through my writing. I think the words I have to give are good and wholesome and of benefit. A benefit for the writer and the reader.

Earlier I was thinking. What if we were given a box and we are told to put all the things we want to take to heaven, what would we put? But before we get to heaven we have to meet You. You might say to us, let me see what you brought with you. I searched youtube for "you woke me up" when I had thought about waking up and watched a video that stood out to me. The message I got from that video was that we have to let go of what no longer serves us. Life is about letting go. Let go and let God. The only thing we need to hold on to is God. God will carry us to where we need to go.

Where can I go with this train of thought? Life is like a box. Our time is limited just like the space in that box. We have to empty the box of some things to make room for other things. When God becomes the focal point, the contents of the box start to look different. We start to see the bigger picture. We start to think outside the box. We realise we do not need to have many things in this box. The load becomes lighter. Life becomes easier. Even the things that matter in life are meant to be given away, like kindness and love. Life is about giving more than taking.

Now I am conflicted. I wrote this and now I am thinking if the box is likely to be empty by the time we reach You then where do our good deeds go that we have to carry to You? Then it occured to me that the box (our life) is built from our deeds and what we present to You is the box itself. I am thinking that our aim would be to carry (figuratively) a beautiful and a strong box (life) built of mostly good deeds. Then we exchange (the x in box) that box for a book. The book of our life that we either receive in our right hand or left hand, at least that is what we learn in Islam. And hopefully, God willing, with our box the x (exchange,unknown) becomes ok and not a ko (or knockout as in boxing terminology).

*I realised what I wrote puts new meaning to what I wrote in the first chapter - I am putting my X next to the praying hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...