Skip to main content

The taste of humility

This is another page from my ninth book called "Dear God". I was inspired to write this book after writing "I am voting for God" on my blog. It continues in that format. Short letters (or prayers) to God. It gives me an opportunity to write more and write to God at different moments in my life.
___________________

Dear God,

It is 111am. I am reading back some of what I wrote before in previous chapters. I glanced at the top of my screen and the time was 119am and the battery percentage was 23%. Back to reading. I decided to choose the 23rd word on the 19th page and I got far. To me the word far is very close to the word fear. Far could stand for fear and respect. I prefer respect over fear or rather the type of fear that translates to respect. I respect Your power. I respect Your guidance. I respect Your rules. God I have the most amount of respect for You. I am humbled by Your greatness. I should write about humility.

It is funny that I am now writing about humility because I thought about it yesterday and I was going to make a note about it, got distracted and could not remember what I wanted to note but now I do. God thank you for leading me back to writing about humility and reminding me to be humble. Just remembered that I have not listened to surah kahf as yet and today is Friday. We come from humble beginnings. Humility will take us far. We are far from perfect but that should not stop us from getting close to God. Pride is the opposite of humility. Humility is far better than pride. Even the word p(rid)e says that we should get rid of pride.

Humility and faith will sustain us. The word faith ends with an h. Faith ends with humility. Humility is the end goal of faith. I want to say that humility is also the beginning of faith. Humility is the foundation of faith. Faith begins with humility but I have the letter f to deal with. The letter f is not far (that word again) from h - fGh in the alphabet. God is in the middle and on one side we have faith and on the other side we have humility. Faith takes us to humility and humility takes us to faith and faith and humility combined takes us to God. God keeps us humble on this journey called life.

Now I ask myself, what does humility taste like? In an attempt to answer that question, I came across this TS Eliot quote that gives us food for thought, "The only wisdom we can hope to acquire is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless." Wisdom says that a good chef can eat what he cooks. Humility is when we can eat our own words. I found two quotes that give us more food for thought. Winston Churchill said, "I have had to eat my own words many times, and I have found it a very nourishing diet." Andy Rooney said, "Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...