Skip to main content

We are only human

This is another page from my ninth book called "Dear God". I was inspired to write this book after writing "I am voting for God" on my blog. It continues in that format. Short letters (or prayers) to God. It gives me an opportunity to write more and write to God at different moments in my life.
___________________

Dear God,

I have been thinking about infinity. It is an interesting concept. It all started today when I watched a math video involving the axiom of choice. We say that You are infinitely powerful. But what does this mean? Infinity means that there is no end. Infinity is not a state. Infinity is not a noun. Infinity does not exist for us. If something is growing or moving without ever ending (perpetual) then it has the quality of being infinite.

When discussing infinity we can use precision and limits to wrap our minds around the concept. I am wondering if anything that requires infinity can be refashioned to use a loop? 0 to 1 and back to 0. Two states and an action to get from one state to the other. We can never get to infinity. It is unreachable. It is theoretical.

We can never say that something is infinitely big, we can only say that it is growing without ending. The only way to not have an end is if you are growing without ending and to grow you must have an end at an exact point in time. And an exact point in time is also questionable i.e. whether time (and other things) are discrete or continuous.

Maybe to measure something we have to make it discrete. Sidenote - Is the speed of light a constant or is it changing so slowly that we do not have a record of it changing? So maybe that is just it. We cannot measure or describe Your power without adapting it to our limits and our humanness. We can only relate to You using our human framework.

We are missing the power of infinity to be able to fully understand and describe infinity and work with infinity. Perhaps, it takes infinity to fully understand infinity. At the end of the day we are only human with human concepts and limits. It is important to keep this in mind as we go about our daily lives. We are only human and this is humbling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...