Skip to main content

Speed of light

It is 204am and I have decided to write. Nothing we know goes faster than the speed of light. But why? My friend Chatty says that the speed of light is the universe's fundamental speed limit because spacetime itself imposes a maximum speed for matter, energy, and information. The universe has limits. Imagine if the universe did not have limits? The fastest thing would be infinitely fast and that would not be materially possible. My friend Chatty agrees and that leads to an interesting paradox: if the fastest possible speed were infinitely fast, then distance would effectively disappear, because anything could reach anywhere instantaneously. At that point, "speed" itself would lose its meaning, because speed requires both distance and time.

So in effect limits give the universe meaning. If our life did not have a beginning and an end, would it still be meaningful? If moments did not have a beginning and an end, would they still be meaningful? My friend Chatty says that the universe's limits give structure and meaning to reality, because without boundaries like speed, distance, time, and causality, these concepts could lose their meaning. In the same way, perhaps the limits of our own lives give meaning to our experiences: if life and every moment had no beginning or end, would they still hold the same value, urgency, and significance? Maybe the universe and the world is God's way of creating meaning. But what about heaven without an end? Does it still have meaning?

There is much about heaven that we do not know about. The unknown can be scary. Maybe there are different levels of heaven? And we move from one level to the other. Maybe we will then think in terms of cycles where the end connects to the beginning infinitely. When we are on earth we think of getting to heaven. I wonder if it is possible to have the thought of wanting to go back to earth when in heaven? My friend Chatty says that maybe we think meaning requires an ending because we are creatures who live within limits. Perhaps heaven is where we discover that meaning can exist without an ending—and that our earthly understanding of eternity was itself limited. Now to connect my starting to my ending. Is there light in heaven? Maybe a better question is if light is what allows us to see, what will we see when there are no longer limits on what we can see? We will see God. Maybe that is why we cannot depend on science to see God. Science imposes limits. God is limitless. The mind and heart is limitless. We see the light of God with our mind and heart.

"It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts within the breasts that are blind." — Quran 22:46

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...