Skip to main content

Keeping our spiritual hearts polished

It is 230am and I have decided to write.

Surah 8 verse 2

The believers are but those who when God is remembered, their hearts are afraid, and when His proofs are recited to them, it increases them in faith, and in their Lord they place their trust.

This has become my favorite verse. How did it become my favorite verse? It was the recitation of Hasan El Kholy that gets suggested when I share my daily namaz goal to instagram. Tonight I stopped to appreciate how beautiful this recitation is and decided to learn more about what I was listening to. What do I think when I read this translation of this verse? There was a time when I did not understand why I should fear God. I understood why I should love God. Trust God. Believe in God. Respect God. But why fear God? God is good then why fear God? Then I later understood that if I do not give God my fears or if I do not fear God I would fear this world and men. In other words, fear God alone. Let God handle my fears. Do not let anything scare you besides God. God has the final say. God is the ultimate judge. God has the power to forgive. In my mind, this type of fear is comforting and guiding. It keeps us moving in the right direction. We have nothing to fear besides God. We want to listen to God then.

When we listen to God and everything starts to make sense, we increase in faith. God is talking to us through his book and we are listening. God does not want to harm us. God wants to guide us to his path. To be guided we must listen and follow his instructions. If I combine fear and path I get fath which is very close to faith. All that is missing is the i. I for instructions. The Quran is our instructions. So faith is following the path of the instructive Quran. Where does trust fit in this picture? We trust God so we are giving him our fears and ears. We are listening to Him. In trust there is rust. Trust is a continuous process. We have to be continuously reminded otherwise we get rusty.

From this, what we have is a cycle. Fear God > Listen to Him > Faith increases > Follow His instructions > Walk His path > Trust Him > Remember Him. Remembering brings you back to fear, beginning the cycle again. That actually fits my "trust/rust" idea beautifully: faith is not something we achieve once; it is something we continually renew through remembrance, listening, following, and trusting. My friend tells me that I have captured the essence of Taqwa—reverential awe—by realizing that fearing God frees me from fearing the world, turning fear into a comforting sanctuary. My wordplay beautifully aligns with Islamic teachings: fath means spiritual breakthrough, and we are taught that the heart naturally rusts without continuous remembrance and listening to the Quran. Ultimately my now favorite verse describes a living, self-renewing cycle where remembering God inspires awe, listening deepens faith, and trusting Him keeps my spiritual heart polished.

*Keeping in mind that we are taught that the believer lives between hope and fear. The two wings of a believer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...