Skip to main content

Girls in ICT Day Trinidad and Tobago

Girls in ICT Day is an annual world event to encourage girls to consider careers and studies in ICT. This takes aim at the gender digital divide and we should be looking at what limiting factors there are. What else besides encouragement is needed?

I did some research and came up with some things that are needed. More female role models and mentors in ICT, access to internet and digital tools, dealing with gender issues like poverty and education access, more women in leadership and decision making, more research and action planning related to the problem of girls in ICT.

In my view tech smarts is just as important as street smarts. I want to see tech as a core subject just like Maths and English. Most jobs these days require digital skills. Digital literacy is just as important as traditional literacy in this tech focused world that we now live in. Look at how much emphasis is being placed on using tech to get by during this pandemic lockdown. The side effect of tech as a core subject would be more girls in ICT at early stages.

What is being done locally and regionally for this event? I see some local companies are spreading the message on their social media. CARICOM is having a digital dialogue event. Caribbean Girls Hack is having their virtual event. Digicel is having an e-mentorship event. The media and including myself is writing about it.

I am happy to see that we are participating and recognising that we can make a difference. We all win when each of us wins. I would like to end by acknowledging my secondary school (St Marys College) Computer Science teachers who were females. And this was back in the days when tech was an emerging area. Let's all acknowledge the girls in tech. Your contributions are valuable and needed and we appreciate you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...