Skip to main content

My advice to tech startups in Trinidad and Tobago

Tech startups are needed in Trinidad and Tobago. There is so much that we could be doing more of in the tech space. We need more app, web and solution development. We need more online workflows and digital payment processing. We need a robust tech ecosystem. We need leaders who see the need to invest in tech. Congratulations to those who chose to startup in tech. You are needed and I would like to share some advice from the persective as a tech blogger and someone in the tech space for a very long time.

Firstly, you need to let others know about what you offer. This is where advertisment is very important even if you have a small or no budget. It just means that you have to be more creative. Come up with a marketing strategy. Social media is huge these days. Be honest about your newness and what you offer. Everyone understands that businesses have to start somewhere. Let persons know more about the persons on your team.

There is a saying that you have to know people to get things done. This is a crude way of talking about networking. Networking helps greatly. It is traditional and cultural. Persons want to get to know and be close to persons they do business with. You have to make connections and build relationships. You have to sell yourself and your startup.

Make sure you are managing your connections, relationships, prospects and customers in a good way. This is where a customer relationship management system is very useful. Start using a CRMS early in the game so not to miss out and then this becomes easier later on. If your budget is small then start with a spreadsheet and something that can be easily imported later on.

Practice what you preach. You can't be selling tech and all it's benefits and you are not using it yourself. It's telling when you eat the food you make, so to speak. Lead by example. Tech startups could be hiring other tech startups.

Finally, don't undercharge and don't waste time on pursuing customers that are really not interested. It takes money to make money and you want to have a healthy cashflow. Undercharging creates a bad habit for customers and they will always want things below cost which is not sustainable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...