Skip to main content

Blog Interview I did in April 2013 - Hassan Voyeau

Today we’re fortunate enough to share some time with Hassan Voyeau. Holding more than ten years experience in the field, applicable education and extensive technical expertise, he continues to seek ways to utilize and enhance his skills. His love for Information Technology doesn’t go unnoticed and is quite evident with his blog TECHTT.

He can be seen covering a range of topics at a very dedicated pace. Be sure to check it out.


1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

  • Years working in the field? 11
  • What position/positions do you hold now? Applications Programmer
  • What are your hobbies? Photography and walking
  • What are your passions? Technology


2. What made you decide to get into the world of ICT?

Secondary school classes. I was getting top scores in my secondary school computing class.

3. How have past experiences helped guide and shape you into the person you are today?

By showing what works and what doesn't.

4. What/who was/is your main influence?

Dr. Ng/Morehouse College. His courses were extremely difficult. He and his courses brought out the best in me.

5. What are some of the job titles you've held in the past before being an Applications Programmer?

Application Lead and Programmer, MIS Data Analyst, Programmer and Systems Analyst

6. Tell us a bit about these jobs and what are some skills gained during time spent in these past jobs?

Some skills gained include time management, interpersonal, communication and coding. I learned a bit of everything needed to survive in the workplace. Discipline, efficiency, organisation, teamwork and initiative.

7. Tell me a bit about your job/jobs now.

  • Day to day tasks? The different stages of the system development life cycle.
  • What does/do your job/jobs entail? Develop custom applications using SQL, SSRS and ASP.NET.
  • What would you say are the requirements to be an Applications Programmer? BSc Computer Science (or related)
  • Do you love what you do? What is the next step for your career? Love technology. Don't like the 8-4 office lifestyle.


8. How would you say your formal education prepared you for the world of work?

Taught me the fundamentals of tech and how to learn.

9. Employers claim that tertiary students aren't always prepared for the world of work. They're either lacking skills/knowledge or experience.

  • How prevalent do you think this is in ICT locally? Can't say, don't have the info. I would guess it applies in some cases.
  • What do you think can be done to bridge this gap? Generally, quality over quantity.


10. Do you believe IT certifications can help bridge this gap?

Maybe.

  • What IT Certifications do you hold [if any]? Sitecore CMS 6.5 Certified Professional Developer
  • What experience have you had with certifications and what did it do for your career? Little experience. Haven't needed them thus far.


11. Anything you wished you knew prior to entering IT that would've better prepared you for the industry?

Can't think of anything.

12. What's the best bit of advice you received since entering the world of IT?

Something I came across on twitter : Dr Tariq Khokar advises developers to make something that people will miss if it went away @ #DevCa 2012 in his webinar.

13. What do you think is the future of ICT in Trinidad and Tobago and the world at large?

We need to keep abreast with what is current and utilise more ICT in the government and business sector.

14. How can ICT be used to contribute to the development of the nation, individuals and the wider society?

ICT is supposed to make our lives more productive and at the same time easier. For starters we need a dedicated Minister and Ministry of ICT. Computerisation of government services, incentives for work from home and broadband internet for all citizens.

15. Any last words for our readers?

My favorite quote - "all my life I had a choice between hate and love and I chose love" - AR Rahman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...