Skip to main content

Technology is my passion


Often when people ask for career advice, I recommend doing things that they are passionate about. Plenty money is nice but doing what you love is nicer. I have seen arguments against this advice in articles. There can be arguments for and against anything. But nothing has changed my mind or stopped me from giving this advice. I am 41 and choosing what I am passionate about has served me well.

My passion is technology. I knew I wanted to pursue my career in technology since the age of 14 in form 2 at St. Mary's College. I skipped form 3 and it was at the end of form 2 that I had to choose subjects for forms 4 to 5 (CXC and GCSE). I did Computer Science at O Levels and Computing at A Levels. Then my BSc in Computer Science at Morehouse College. This was all at a time when computing and technology was emerging. I am passionate about technology because I recognise the power of tech to make the world a better place. To make our lives easier and better. This passion means I put my best foot forward and I am good at what I do even with the many challenges.

Currently I am a full-time tech blogger and this is a dream for me. I make no money from this and I am doing it for the love of it. Thankfully I am in a position to do so. I don't need much, a roof over my head, 3 square meals, internet and a smartphone. I have been blogging and creating content for a very long time and it never gets tiring or boring.

What are my goals now? I want my workflow to be efficient and streamlined and simple. I want quality over quantity. I need to pay attention to SEO and promotion. I want to be a needed resource in the tech space. I want to contribute to the betterment of my country. I want to get away from the idea that I need a lot to accomplish a lot. I can and will make do with what I have. In photography there is a common phrase that the best camera is the camera that you have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...