Skip to main content

Trinidad and Tobago's participation in the International Olympiad in Informatics

Professor Noel Kalicharan has passed away recently. May he rest in peace. I remember him as being the organiser for what we called the Computer Olympiads for secondary school students. I was attending St. Mary's College at the time. We would submit solutions to programming questions and then be selected to participate in the next round of the selection process at the Roytec computer lab. I never made it past this round. Winners after that round would be trained at UWI under Kalicharan and then another selection made to fly to the international competition. The local awards ceremony would usually be held at Algico plaza.

When I went on to Morehouse College I would participate in the ACM contest and one time my team placed 2nd in our division having gotten 3 questions correct. I see that UWI and other tertiary schools have been participating in the ACM-ICPC contests. At one point we also had participants in the Microsoft Imagine Cup. We really need to promote our participation in these types of contests locally. We have not participated in the International Olympiad in Informatics since 2013.

We have participated 15 times between 2013 and 1992. We medalled 3 times. Bronze by Ravi Ramkissoon in 1995 and bronze by Xin Zheng in 2000 and 2001. I remember Ravi Ramkissoon from St. Mary's College. He was one year ahead of me. I remember him as being a genius and someone I look up to. He was also a president medal scholarship winner. In 2017 I had emailed Noel and asked him, is the Computer Olympiad still running in Trinidad? His reply was as follows, "We run it when there’s interest from schools/students. This interest has been declining in recent years. Seems that not many people are interested in computer programming (most find it too difficult, even at UWI)".

Where do we go from here? I have contacted a senior lecturer at UWI to get more info. I am also going to ask Minister Hassel Bacchus about this. Participation in the these contests will help to keep interest in ICT and coding. We need coders to build out the systems in our country's digitisation strategy. Last year we did not have the 2nd iteration of the HackTT hackaton because of Covid and I am thinking that we should still hold the contest virtually. The first contest came in for a lot of praises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...