Skip to main content

Tech in Trinidad and Tobago Budget 2022

I didn't plan to watch the budget presentation but I did. Normally I just wait for the budget documents to hit the website afterwards. I listened from start to finish and paid attention to comments on the youtube livestream I was watching. My overall impression? I wanted to see new ideas and innovation. I wanted to see a focus on technology. The comments on the livestream let me know that there is plenty bias and persons are towing their party's line. I hold no allegiance to any political party and I am ready to criticise and commend both sides. I am ready to work with anyone that wants good for Trinidad and Tobago. Since I started voting, I have voted for 3 different political parties.


The tech related things that stood out to me from the budget are digital developer hub, national e-identity platform, tax breaks for tech startups and digital wallets. The opposition has pointed out that the Ministry of Digital Transformation has no website. I am waiting patiently for their website and online presence. They do have a facebook page that I interact with. What do we have? We have the budget, national ICT plan, a dedicated ministry, the recovery plan and igovtt. What I would love to see is a structured system to give feedback and make suggestions. Let's hear from the people. What new ideas do you have? What innovations do you propose?


I am very interested in the Digital Developer Hub mentioned in the budget. I asked the following question in the Caribbean Developers group

From TT budget document (pg 68) talks about the Digital Developer Hub. Your thoughts? How do you imagine this hub will work? How do you want this hub to work?

Some comments are saying that this is something best left to the private sector. I don't see it that way. I think it is best left to anyone who wants to do the work. So let me answer my own question. I think it is a good idea, I am glad the government is proposing to do this and I am ready to participate. I imagine the hub will be a meeting space for developers. I imagine developers will decide how the grouping functions and what we get out of it. The hub could be a major resource and support for developers. This could very well be related to Tamana Park being the Silicon Valley of Trinidad and Tobago. Local developers can be foreign exchange earners and can save us foreign exchange.


What tech projects would I like to see? What could they have included in the budget? I would like to see us making use of Tamana Park. I would like to see more locals using .tt domains. Maybe government can work with TTNIC to make the necessary improvements. I would like to see more tech startups and us looking at improving ease of doing business and receiving payments. I would like to see every ministry mandated to provide 10 open data datasets in the next coming year. I would like to see etextbooks in schools. I would like to see more hackatons. I would like to see satellite internet options facilitated and encouraged through TATT. I would like to see several tech labs across Trinbago. I would like to see a workflows platform developed for the public service. I could go on some more but I will stop myself here. Technology is a pillar of any modern society. Let's use tech to promote country development, earn us money and save us money.

Comments

Unknown said…
This is great. Thank you for these suggestions, and I do hope that you don't lose faith in pushing them farther out toward those who need to hear them.

This was a great and short read.

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...