Skip to main content

Smart Work Pays Off

I have a technology background and our job in technology is to make things easier, not harder. When I had my IT consultancy, the aim I had for my customers was to make technology work for them. All the progress we have made as humankind should count for something. I am very bothered when persons say, hard work pays off. I would much rather say and hear, smart work pays off.

There is a difference between hard work and smart work. When I Google "smart work vs hard work", I see that there are many articles covering the topic. It is important to recognise the difference and start embracing smart work over hard work. When we glorify hard work we perpetuate hardships and there are no incentives for doing things the smart and better way.

I like to see when people come up with smart ways to do things. This topic has me thinking about SMART goals. Let's be smart about life and what we want to achieve. What is hard work? When I think about hard work, I think about long hours, sacrifice, no fun, no days off, strick schedule and the likes. On the other hand, when I think about smart work, I think about efficiency, process reengineering, automation, using tools and the likes. I also think about street smarts and how important it is in surviving life. There is a difference between being educated and being intelligent.

Came across this quote while researching this topic, "give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe," said by Abraham Lincoln. We should be using tools to make our work and life easier and more comfortable. Technology is a major tool and so much we are hearing about digital transformation these days. Also, there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

In terms of paying off, we have to think up our own definition of success. What makes us happy? What are we passionate about? What motivates us? Not everyone needs a lot of money, big house, fancy car and expensive vacations. This reminds me of a common saying, work to live and not live to work. Work life balance is important and smart work affords us that. Our health is our true wealth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...