Skip to main content

The Big Electricity Outage

This day was a buy out lunch kind of day. I changed my clothes, put money in my pockets and headed through the door. I walked to the main road, waited a short while and then boarded a green band maxi taxi. My destination was David's roti shop. I was getting a small chicken roti and my mom wanted a small rice, dhal and curry goat. On my way back I got a drop from my uncle who spotted me while I was waiting for a maxi taxi. Lunch was fulling and satisfying. Lunch was accompanied by an entire 20oz bottle of Coca Cola. The sweet drink was poured into a plastic tumbler filled with ice. That was perfection for the hot weather we were experiencing.

Shortly afterwards I was in need of a midday nap. As I switched on the air conditioner and about a minute of time had passed, current was gone. This also meant no internet. I was sleepy from that hearty lunch and slept for about 2 hours until about 2 pm. I was sweaty, sticky and hot. I felt like I was living in the arabian desert. The electricity had not come back. I decided to check my prepaid mobile balance to see if I had enough to add some mobile data. That short code was failing. I started to think that this was a major islandwide outage.

I don't have a wired air buds to make the over the air radio app work on my mobile. But I remembered that I had a speaker cord that could work. I located that from my box of gadgets and plugged in and I was now listening to local radio. Some of the radio stations were offline. I heard about the islandwide outage on one of the radio stations. At this time I decided to blog about this. I was planning for a few more hours and praying for the sun to go down. I have no candles but I have the flash light on my mobile.

I was peeled to the radio for music and any updates on the outage. I had to be careful to not use up the battery on my mobile. At 4 pm I decided to have a small dinner and take a bath. The water pressure was so low that there was no water in the shower head. I was getting water in the low pipe and could take a bucket bath. Times like this I appreciate the things that I normally take for granted. During the 5 pm news update there was no info on what caused the outage. They said restoration was going to happen on a phased basis and take several hours. Listening to over the air radio feels like going back in times.

By night fall I had a mattress by the front door to feel the cool night air which I could not feel from my bedroom. But after about 1 hour dealing with the greedy mosquitos I was back in my bedroom. I twist and I turn. I was in between sleep and wake until 1152 pm and then the power had been restored in Cunupia where I live. God bless the workers of T&TEC and the power generation companies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...