Skip to main content

Coding with Stackblitz on my Android mobile device

In the past I would have blogged about my experience coding on my mobile with tech like Termux, NodeJS, MariaDB, Hugo, and Firebase. I am always looking for ways to code on my android mobile. This time I am experimenting with Stackblitz. Stackblitz is an online code editor for web apps and powered by Visual Studio Code. Below has been my experience getting started.

I chose the free tier and signed in to stackblitz.com using my GitHub account. I created a typescript project. Stackblitz website is very user friendly. Next I looked for a good tutorial on youtube.

You can debug using chrome dev tools but looks like this is not available on chrome mobile.

I have seen stackblitz being compared to glitch.com and codesandbox.io and I am guessing that there are others out there.

There is an option to deploy to Firebase from within stackblitz but I don't want to trust stackblitz with my firebase just yet.

I downloaded my typescript project and headed over to termux. I then had the following question.


If I view source the stackblitz preview there is no html in the body tag but some script tags to load javascript files. Which leads me to say that stackblitz has their specific build and serve process and chances are you will have to modify your projects to build locally which could bring problems.

Next, I needed to figure out how to select over multiple lines. This would have been a deal breaker. I do have a wireless keyboard but then I would need a USB adapter for the dongle. But I prefer to not have to use a keyboard. I asked the question on stack overflow but I figured it out myself before someone could answer.


The other thing I need to figure out is how to uplaod project files. I can connect my github but I prefer not do that as yet. On your desktop you can drag and drop files but on android that is not an option.

I would love to see online developer environments like this progress. Maybe all you have is a tablet or chromebook or mobile. I can see me using this to test and demo code but I would need to learn more to decide on using for production web app. I would have to plan and test my deployment process first. Then consider support for unit testing. Let's say I wanted to develop a CRUD web app using Stackblitz, React, Express, Heroku and PostgreSQL. How would that work?

I read that Stackblitz now supports SQLite3. That would be one way to create a quick CRUD demo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...