What would it take for a Technology Revolution to happen in Trinidad and Tobago?

As I was waiting for the rain to done so I could make my way to the doubles shop for two doubles with slight pepper and everything, this is the question I asked myself. What would it take for a technology revolution to happen in Trinidad and Tobago? As I started to think about this I asked some other questions. What is a technology revolution? How is this related to digital transformation? Is that going to be a digital revolution?

According to wikipedia, "A technological revolution is a period in which one or more technologies is replaced by another, novel technology in a short amount of time. It is an era of accelerated technological progress characterized by new innovations whose rapid application and diffusion typically cause an abrupt change in society."

What would it take in Trinidad and Tobago to have a technological revolution? Well, we started to see major changes in mindset and action because of the pandemic. Technology was being respected. Technology was seen as our saviour. We had uncovered our knight in shining armour. We were working from home. Telemedicine was being utilised. Contactless payments were being made. Learning management systems were being installed. Forms were being computerised. Processes were being re-engineered.

But Hassan, why are you speaking in the past tense? Are these technological changes not happening now and continuing to happen? The Covid numbers are down and restrictions are being lifted. We are no longer talking about the new normal. It is now back to normal. Find yourselves back on the plantation in your suit, jacket and tie. Never mind we live in the tropics. Then there is the hours of grinding traffic.

So what is it going to take? I say a new generation that brings new leadership. I saw a tweet on twitter that speaks to this. A six year old was able to say better than I could why online school works for her. It ended with, "I should be able to say what works best for me. My voice matters so I should be able to choose."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wandering

Mangoes

Winds

May

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?