I am from Trinidad and this has been My First Experience with Bitcoin

I was given a gift of TT$3 worth of Bitcoin (1000 Satoshis or 0.00001 bitcoin) and I used the Wallet of Satoshi to receive my gift. This is my first experience with bitcoin. I am in the process of learning more and I decided to share my experience and understanding in this blog post.

A wallet gives you access to your bitcoin and you can send and receive bitcoin. There are different types of wallets. Wallets have a public key (this is like your bank account number) and private key (this is like your online banking password).

The Wallet of Satoshi app is a zero-configuration custodial wallet. A custodial wallet means that they have control over the private keys. The Wallet of Satoshi uses the lightning network. The bitcoin network can only process a limited amount of transactions per second. The lightning network was created to overcome this. The lightning network has lower fees and allows micro-payments. A bunch of transactions can take place and then at a later time a net transaction is written to the bitcoin blockchain. You can receive payment by creating an invoice and this can be shared as a code or QR code. You also have a Lightning network address.

A term I came across is altcoin which are alternative cryptocurrencies to bitcoin like Ethereum. Then there are bitcoin exchanges that allow you to buy and sell bitcoin for other currencies. When I select Buy Bitcoin in the Wallet of Satoshi app, it redirects to using the moonpay.com api which states "your region is not supported". When I Google "how to buy Bitcoin in Trinidad?" I can see experiences from different persons using different services and apps. I also read that some local banks are blocking some crypto purchases.

I figure eventually in years to come there will be more bitcoin usage locally and I will hope that I can buy bitcoin with my local visa debit card. Some Caribbean countries are experimenting with digital currencies and Digicel is developing a mobile wallet. There is growth taking place in the regional fintech space. Share your experience with us in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the end of the internet?

Why does the Earth hum?

What is an equation for life?

Where does this door lead?

What book do I write next?