Skip to main content

I am from Trinidad and this has been My First Experience with Bitcoin

I was given a gift of TT$3 worth of Bitcoin (1000 Satoshis or 0.00001 bitcoin) and I used the Wallet of Satoshi to receive my gift. This is my first experience with bitcoin. I am in the process of learning more and I decided to share my experience and understanding in this blog post.

A wallet gives you access to your bitcoin and you can send and receive bitcoin. There are different types of wallets. Wallets have a public key (this is like your bank account number) and private key (this is like your online banking password).

The Wallet of Satoshi app is a zero-configuration custodial wallet. A custodial wallet means that they have control over the private keys. The Wallet of Satoshi uses the lightning network. The bitcoin network can only process a limited amount of transactions per second. The lightning network was created to overcome this. The lightning network has lower fees and allows micro-payments. A bunch of transactions can take place and then at a later time a net transaction is written to the bitcoin blockchain. You can receive payment by creating an invoice and this can be shared as a code or QR code. You also have a Lightning network address.

A term I came across is altcoin which are alternative cryptocurrencies to bitcoin like Ethereum. Then there are bitcoin exchanges that allow you to buy and sell bitcoin for other currencies. When I select Buy Bitcoin in the Wallet of Satoshi app, it redirects to using the moonpay.com api which states "your region is not supported". When I Google "how to buy Bitcoin in Trinidad?" I can see experiences from different persons using different services and apps. I also read that some local banks are blocking some crypto purchases.

I figure eventually in years to come there will be more bitcoin usage locally and I will hope that I can buy bitcoin with my local visa debit card. Some Caribbean countries are experimenting with digital currencies and Digicel is developing a mobile wallet. There is growth taking place in the regional fintech space. Share your experience with us in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...