Skip to main content

CARICOM Single ICT Space

Talk about a CARICOM Single ICT Space has been around for some years now. I did a question and answer with CARICOM for my blog for this back in March 2017. The CARICOM Single ICT Space is an ecosystem of regionally harmonised ICT policies, legislation, regulations, technical standards, best practices, networks and services.

It is needed for the betterment and development of Caribbean citizens through technology and integration. The region is stronger together. We have similar needs and we understand each other. The single ICT space will advance the CARICOM digital agenda. The Grenada PM, Dr Keith Mitchell, thinks that without this single ICT space we will be replicating efforts and wasting valuable resources. We have to be agile, lean and collaborative to get ahead with digital transformation.

Some of the benefits include providing digital support for the CSME and support for the realisation of the CARICOM digital economy; Facilitating collaboration and sharing of resources; Enhancing regional trade, innovation, competitiveness and citizen welfare; Ubiquity and consistency of ICT services across CARICOM at affordable prices to citizens; Entrepreneur development, innovation and advancement.

This is what it looks like to me, an idea, some meetings and some documents but little else to show. Why is it taking so long to implement? When I did my blog post in 2017 one of the challenges identified was having enough resources to implement the various activities. I think we need a project manager and a public list of action items, due dates and responsible persons. Let's make persons accountable. Another thing, I think not enough is being done to publicise what the single ICT space is and what are the benefits. By now there should have been a website, social media and online presence for this project. Once persons realise how important and beneficial this will be, they will demand it from the powers that be. Share my blog post and let us get people talking about the CARICOM Single ICT Space.

As usual I contacted the Ministry of Digital Transformation to get their input. I also emailed my contacts at CARICOM to get their input. What questions do you have? What are your concerns? Do you see this benefitting you? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...