Skip to main content

Let's talk about Teslas in Trinidad and Tobago with Ian Smart of Smart Energy Limited

Why should someone in Trinidad and Tobago buy a Tesla?

Our goal is to help drive the adoption of emission free transportation in Trinidad and I think we have done that. When Smart Energy brought in the first Tesla into T&T, we created excitement in the market and proved to car owners that it is possible to go electric in Trinidad and Tobago. People don’t have to buy a Tesla, but Tesla’s are cool. The driving performance is exceptional, and the acceleration is like being launched on a rollercoaster. We are happy with any EV that is sold in Trinidad that means there is one less fossil car on the road. One thing I want to clearly state is that our prices for evs are the most competative at this point.

Are there any charging stations in the country?

Yes, but more fast charging stations in key destinations would aid adoption. These stations would support lower range EVs such as the Nissan Leaf. The range in Teslas is more than the average Trinbagonian would drive in any one day. A charging station at home would satisfy the average Tesla owner.

How many Teslas are on the road in the country?

Four, Two Model S’s, one Model 3 and X.

Tell us about Smart Energy Limited?

Smart Energy started out as a renewable energy company that specialized in solar installations, we also did renewable energy education training and energy audits but now we have fully transitioned to a green tech company that focuses on electric vehicles. We realise that evs have the capability to kill two birds with one stone that is tackle the issue of clean mobility as well as electric resiliency. An electric car combined with a bidirectional charger can serve as a power source to power your home in the advent of a power outage. 

Tell us about the time you brought in the first Tesla?

We staged a launch at both movietowne and at hyatt to show case the model S Tesla. We collaborated with Bad Granny and got sponsored by Hadco and First Citizens Bank for the launches.

We had turn out from the Minister of Energy and coverage from different media houses like Guardian. We would have been the first electric vehicle in Trinidad except the UTT bus that came in a few months before however our vehicle hit the road before the bus because we had a skilled team to assist in the licensing of the vehicle at the licensing office which was a challenge. 

Are your Teslas covered by warranty?

Teslas are covered by the manufactures warranty within the markets that they are sold. For the Teslas that Smart Energy has brought in, Tesla has made available their Ranger service out of Puerto Rico and Miami at no cost. We have a local mechanic who has worked alongside the Rangers and we can service the vehicles in Trinidad for the majority of issues. Also we are working with national renewable energy lab which is an institution in the US government that assists international countries in transitioning to green mobility. We are hoping to get assistance from them in helping us get technology transfer and investment matching to assist us in setting up service centers in the future.

How are these Teslas serviced?

See above

Do we need legislation for self driving cars?

We are a decade away from that. Currently we don’t have the infrastructure for that.

Are there any known issues with Teslas?

Yes, the internet has many stories of known issues. Teslas are cars and cars have wear and tear. We strongly recommend that consumers who are considering purchasing a Tesla recognize that there are risks involved with being an early adopter.

What is the cost per mile and how does that compare to gas prices locally?

TTEC charges $0.37/kWh. A full battery charge for the base model Tesla would cost $22.20 for 405km of range. This is about $.10 per mile, but as the battery efficiency improves, Tesla owners will get more range for the same cost. The mileage cost of an electric car is roughly 4 times cheaper than running an equivalent car that runs on fuel.

What are some frequent questions you get asked about Teslas?

Is financing and insurance available?

Financing and Insurance can be arrange through our partner institutions.

What is maintenance like?

As the vehicle doesn’t have an engine or conventional transmission, the service requirements are much less. Tesla Motors suggests rotating tires every 8,000 km and performing an annual wheel alignment; Brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years (40K km); Battery coolant every 4 years (80K km); Transmission fluid every 12 years (240K km).

How long the batteries last?

It is expected that the Model S could travel over 200,000KM without any material battery degradation.

Anything else you would like to add?

Yes, we don’t only sell Teslas but a range of pure evs that we can source through Japan such as nissan, honda, benz, bmw, subaru, porshe, audi, lexus, mazda. Also our goal is not just to supply evs to the Trinidad and Tobago market but for the wider Caribbean and Latin American market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...