Skip to main content

What happened to the Microsoft Innovation Center in Trinidad and Tobago?

The Microsoft Innovation Center in Trinidad and Tobago was opened on October 6 2014. It was the first in the English speaking Caribbean. It was a partnership between Cariri and Microsoft aimed at providing technology training. It was hoped that it would play a role in our diversification efforts. From March 2016 to July 2017 they maintained a facebook page. That facebook page has since been abandoned and their website is empty. 

I woke up this morning and set out to find out what happened. I posted the question to my LinkedIn connections and on the Caribbean Developers facebook group. It always bothers me that the Microsoft Trinidad and Tobago office does not have an online presence. No email address, social media or website, no nothing. I sent some emails to email contacts I had. I sent a LinkedIn connection request to the territory manager. I even sent a message to the abandoned facebook page.

Is the Microsoft Innovation Center coming back? Could that play a role in the Developer Hub being created by the Ministry of Digital Transformation. I contacted the Ministry to get their input.

I also contacted Cariri and got a response as follows - Unfortunately the MIC is closed for now. Microsoft did some restructuring a couple of years ago and the Center is closed. Hopefully we will be able to reopen in the future. They have since pivoted and are now hosting the DIA Youth and Innovation Lab and Workshops at the Center for Enterprise Development in Freeport.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...