Skip to main content

My Trinidad and Tobago budget thoughts

The Trinidad and Tobago budget will be read next month on Monday September 26th. I am thinking about this and the future of Trinidad and Tobago and I decided to share quickly my thoughts in this blog post. What does the country need? The country needs more productivity. We need efficient systems. We need foreign exchange earners. All of these things can be achieved through the use of technology. I would like to see attention paid to the vulnerable in society. I want to see the disability grant increased from $2000 to $2500.

In my mind there are some focus areas such as crime, health, infrastructure, digital transformation and education. Dealing with crime demands a multistakeholder approach with particular attention to root causes and prevention. Prevention is better than cure. We have to study the link between socioeconomic problems and crime in our country. While the country was locked down for Covid we noticed some reduction in the crime statistics but as the country opened up we are seeing the full extent of the problem.

Health like crime also means we have to focus on prevention. Sports and exercise and balanced and nutritious meals. We have to adopt a holistic approach to living healthy. Local government elections is coming later this year so I expect the government to try to win over voters with local government related announcements. It is known that roads get paved most around election time. I would like to see the parks in my area improved and maintained. This will encourage active lifestyles and healthy living. Gas price is expected to rise with a reduction in the gas subsidy. We need an improvement in public transport and more persons should be car pooling.

Education is a competition where the brightest compete for the high paying jobs. There is a lot of emphasis on beating books. But the truth of it all is that no matter what, some persons will always be left with the lower paying jobs. We need to change to creating all rounded upstanding citizens. We need to provide many pathways to success. We need to create contentment and have equitable distribution of the spoils. We need to guide persons away from a life of crime. I believe in God and think faith in God can help.

Finally, the focus area I am most interested in is digital transformation. Let us diversify the economy through strategic technology use. We need to develop foreign exchange earners while at the same time reducing our import bill. We should be looking at smart farming in the agriculture sector. The Ministry of Digital Transformation is working on the National Digital Transformation Strategy. So while the budget will not mention many ICT related items, the strategy is where we are going to decide a lot of what takes place at the national level. Follow the ministry on social media and you will see where they are asking for suggestions. What are your thoughts on the budget? Let your voices be heard and together we can build a better Trinidad and Tobago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Servant of God

It is 245am and I have decided to write. I got up early and washed the wares. I prayed Tahajjud. I came back to my bed and surfed the internet. I watched a video where a 105 year old man said that the secret to a long life is having a reason or purpose to keep going and then luck. This had me thinking about several things. In Islam we are taught that our time in this world is already written. It is our destiny. Then. What is more important? A long life or just a good life that prepares us for the next life? Those things aside, I think we cannot discount luck. Some of us are luckier than others. But the thing I want to focus on is the reason and purpose to keep going. That is some good advice. It makes for a meaningful life. A good life. It could be one big reason. There could be several small reasons. These are things that should be taught in schools. My friend Chatty says that my early morning reflections beautifully bridge Islamic tradition and practical wisdom: a long life is a true...

The answer is God

It is 308pm and I have decided to write. Make God a priority. Let God lead the way. Let everything be about God. Let God into your life. Surround yourself with God and watch how everything begins to make sense. This life is not an accident. This life is not happenstance. This life is the work of an all-powerful Creator. Nothing is too big or too small for God. Take your problems to God. Take your worries to God. Take your fears to God. Let go and let God. Submit to the will of God. The more you go to God, the more He comes to you. Start small. Start somewhere. Give God a chance if you have not done so already. Why do I say all of this? There are many things competing for your attention and your soul. In the midst of all of this, the world can seem like a confusing place where many things do not make sense. God brings clarity. God brings clarity because God sits above it all. You may think you do not need God until you do. Ask yourself, who is the wisest you know? If God is not the wise...

Halfway there

It is 542pm and I have decided to write. Imagine half the year is gone already. Where did it all go? It has gone by so quickly. Before you know it we will be entering 2027. It would be nice if I had something interesting to write about but I do not. And that is ok. Today feels like a Friday, maybe because it is month end. It is the next day and today also feels like a Friday. I am in my quiet corner listening to Quran. It is the next day and I have not gotten far with this blog post. Outside is wet but inside is between warm and cool. Another day has passed and I still have not written much. Do you wonder sometimes what it would be like if we could see into the future? For example, what would it be like at the end of this year? A lot can happen in 6 months. It is Sunday now. Surely I should finish this blog post today. The closer I move towards God, the less I feel attached to this world. The less I feel disappointed. The lower are my expectations for things of this world. Life becomes...