Skip to main content

Regulating OTT Services in Trinidad and Tobago

TATT has published for comment its consultative document FRAMEWORK ON OVER-THE-TOP SERVICES (OTTS) IN TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO. The deadline for commenting is today and I am very close to being late. The reasoning for regulations as they put it is to foster fair competition between network operators and providers of OTTS. I feel strongly about net neutrality and a free internet and I think that early attempts to chip away at these things should be nipped in the bud. If you woke up tomorrow and Whatsapp was no longer available in Trinidad how would you feel about this? I would be broken. I would want to make noise. I would want to challenge that decision.

A significant number of the population depends on OTT services and use it on a daily basis. TATT has decided to use the following definition of OTTS, "Content, service or application accessed by the public via the Internet that may be a direct substitute for, and/or may compete with, a public telecommunications and/or broadcasting service". This seems reasonable but they should provide a definition for telecommunications and broadcasting service in this document.

I am glad that the document recognises the benefits and needs for OTTS and stated, "OTTS offer essential economic and social features 
beyond traditional communications services". What TATT should study and consider and spell out is the impact of shutting down an OTT service that refuses to comply with their demands. Can they describe a scenario where they have to shut down a service like Whatsapp in Trinidad? Additionally, I feel like smaller OTT services would be at the mercy of the regulator.

One argument is that traditional providers are heavily regulated while OTTS are not. I am willing to sacrifice heavy regulation for innovation and lower cost. TATTs main reason for regulation seems to be unfair competition. They do mention concern for data protection and consumer privacy. They should provide stats to show where this is a problem. I think there should be more reasons spelled out for regulation. It will strengthen their position and get more buy in from the public.

I like the idea of pushing for local content development for streaming services. I think this can be encouraged but not forced. Would a streamer or youtuber be considered a broadcaster? They should specify this. That would be silly. I think that TATT can get buy in for infrastructure investment by showing the OTTS how this helps them. Can we identify what percentage of their profits comes from our small population of users? Can TATT then say what percentage of the percentage of profits would be demanded? I doubt this would be a significant amount. As an aside I would like to see remote jobs for locals at big tech when we engage with big tech. That is a more useful way to give back to our market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...