Skip to main content

20 years of tech in Trinidad and Tobago

I have been a part of the tech space locally for many years now as a consumer, tech graduate, coder and tech blogger. In my youtube video I describe the tech space in Trinidad and Tobago as developing. We have good internet infrastructure and plenty tech graduates. We have ample examples of tech being used to better our lives. We are developing and there is much room for improvement. I returned to Trinidad in 2003 after studying and working abroad. A lot has happened locally in the almost last 20 years since. I want to point out some of these happenings that come to my mind and share some of my thoughts.

Liberisation of the telecoms sector is the first thing that comes to mind. I remember rushing to the Croisee in San Juan to buy that Nokia flip phone from Digicel on launch day. This brought options, lower prices and investment in upgrades over the years. Eventually we had the launch of 4G that brought tears of joy to my eyes. The proliferation of smart phones in Trinidad happened and as a tech blogger I covered many Samsung launches. When covid hit us, work from home and online schooling put our internet and digital inclusion to the test. In 2008 there was talk of TTEC offering broadband over powerlines. Nothing has come of this and I sent an email today to find out more. Having good infrastructure is one thing but making use of this is another. Who remembers Caribbean Free Radio? It was the first podcast in the Caribbean. It was a big deal for me and I always saw a need for us to be producers and not only consumers. 

Over the years we had a good amount of tech startups like WiPay, F1RST and Fooddrop. We even had the I2I competition to encourage persons to get started. Have you noticed the numerous ride sharing apps we have had over the years? Trinis are wanting convenience and comfort that tech can facilitate and there is much opportunities for tech startups. The coming of Uber to Trinidad was a celebrated moment. What about the coming of the first Tesla in Trinidad. My blog post on that had crossed 30,000 views. Something that is common place now is online banking. There was a time when we had to go to the ATM to check balance.

The Trinidad and Tobago Internet Governance Forum has been happening yearly for the past few years and has been a good way for us to brainstorm topics. Similarly the Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society, has been a significant part of the local tech scene over the years and from the earlies; From the lively mailing list discussions to the pizza limes to the Software Freedom Day events. Mark Lyndersay's tech column has been around all these years and provides education and insight.

The launch of the Ministry of Digital Transformation was a huge deal. I had been asking for a Minister of Technology for many years. One of the things we should not lose sight of is work from home and online schooling. We have the internet and we can get devices to students. The laptop for every student program was a headline moment. We should learn from that and continue the work to bridge the digital divide. We should learn from the last 20 years. We have to keep up with the rapidly changing and advancing tech world. We have IoT, big data, AR and robotics among other things that we can make use of. Looking forward to another 20 years of tech in Trinidad and Tobago.

Comments

Mark said…
Thanks for the mention in your post.
I agree with the coming of Digicel as a key point of change, introducing aggressive competition into the telecommunications sector and sparking a revolution in how the customer was served in this country.
The arrival of acceptably fast mobile broadband, up to and including 4G was another leveraging factor, moving internet access from being tied to a device in a space to becoming a pervasive presence in the society. It's had a major impact on the practice of journalism for sure, something that seemed obvious right from the introduction of the early 3G services.
I count also the first removal of taxes from computing devices as a big deal, making it possible for people to consider importing their own systems rather than settling for what was available on store shelves.
Despite its poor implementation, the first major distribution of computers into the school system was, I believe, a big deal, something that we are still to understand the impact of.
Unfortunately there have been so many missed and bungled opportunities, most of them masquerading under political announcements that led to nothing and even more that were privately discussed in governance that never saw the light of day, even as cheerful announcements from political podiums.

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...