Skip to main content

I did some currying today

I came across this problem on Daily Coding Problem

This problem was asked by Squarespace.

Write a function, add_subtract, which alternately adds and subtracts curried arguments. Here are some sample operations:

add_subtract(7) -> 7

add_subtract(1)(2)(3) -> 1 + 2 - 3 -> 0

add_subtract(-5)(10)(3)(9) -> -5 + 10 - 3 + 9 -> 11

I didn't have an answer from the top of my head. I decided to get some help from Google and see what I could learn in the process. Before going further in my blog post, see if you can come up with a solution and comment how that went. First thing for me was to learn about currying in javascript. The first link I came across was this one


But it does not cover infinite currying which is what I needed. I then went through a bunch of searches and articles trying to understand as much as I could. This next article stood out to me because of how simple the solution was but it could not be modified to cater for alternating addition and subtraction. To do this I figured I needed access the position in the arguments list.


Some of the things you might come across while researching are perpetual curry or infinite curry, variadic currying, partial application vs currying, arity, single level currying, composition and closure. This final link did the best in explaining currying to me and had an example of infinite currying.


I was able to modify the example to come up with a solution. This is what I have so far with minimal testing in replit.



Replit now has a mobile app which I talked about on my youtube channel - Replit Mobile App - Coding on my aging budget Android phone in Trinidad

Basically I had to check for every even argument and make that argument negative as follows

args.reduce((acc, a, l) => {
if (l%2 == 0 && l != 0) a=a*-1;

At first I had l=args.length. This was a mistake but did not matter because l is replaced by index. The 3rd parameter of reduce is the index and refers to the number of times the reducer has looped over the array. The problem does not use a terminator and an improvement to my solution would be to not use a terminator. I have never had to use currying before and there are articles that discuss real world examples of using currying. Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...