Just another phone

I did not watch the Pixel 7 launch today but I followed the tweets, read some of the blogs and watched some of the youtuber takes. Marques asked for questions and I replied, "Has smartphones reached peak? Are we only going to see spec upgrades now and is the next thing AR and wearable?" Then I tweeted this, "Pixel 7 - just another phone with improved specs. Where is the innovation and next big thing?" I could say the same thing about the other recent smartphone launches. Is this a money making scheme? I have lost interest in the latest and greatest and new and shiny smartphones. Am I just bitter because I cannot afford to upgrade now?

The phone boasts a new processor and ships with Android 13. Google says that the new OS is fast, smart and secure. I am a photog and content creator and everyone wants a good camera to capture those special moments. You can use "photo unblur" that uses machine learning to improve blurry pictures. The camera can capture video in 10-bit HDR. Enjoy the security and convenience of face unlock. These are just some of the features that stood out to me. What I like the most is the price point, the Pixel 7 starts at TT $4050 and Pixel 7 Pro starts at TT $6080.

Yes all these things are nice and more so if you have not upgraded since a few years now but are they much of a big deal? Within a year we are going to see another model with some new and different features but how much of a difference will those make? How is it going to change our lives? I guess if you can afford it then these questions are less relevant. What I am saying is give me more. Make me feel like I felt in the early days.

So what will get me excited? Good question and my quick answer is a smart glasses that can replace my smartphone. That would get my adrenalin flowing. According to a recent article in Quartz magazine titled "The next phase of mobile technology will be dominated by smart glasses" they are saying that "Smart glasses from the likes of Amazon, Meta, and Snap will complement and then replace smartphones." I can totally see this happening. There will be hurdles to cross like getting enough computational power and long lasting battery into a smaller form factor. Then cutting edge technology usually starts off much more expensive. What are your thoughts? Are you going to upgrade your smartphone? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the end of the internet?

Why does the Earth hum?

What is an equation for life?

Where does this door lead?

What book do I write next?