Skip to main content

My thinkpiece on crime in Trinidad and Tobago

I think one of the questions we have to ask and provide answers for is why is the crime problem much less in Tobago? What can we learn from Tobago? Crime in Trinidad is a huge problem and is growing steadily. It is affecting well being, family life, business, investment and country negatively. This is not an overnight problem. It took some time for us to reach here. Dealing with crime demands a multistakeholder approach with particular attention to root causes and prevention. National security has a huge budget. Spending on technology can help with analysis, prevention and security at personal, community and national levels.

Is the education system doing enough to mold upstanding citizens? I think our education system is mainly a factory for employers. There is too much emphasis on passing exams and beating books. Wealth is created on the backs of cheap labour. Cheap labour being those who do not win at the education race. We need equity in the distribution of wealth. There is plenty of discussion that is saying that trickle down economics has failed. We need more appreciation and recognition and opportunity for those that are burdened with the jobs that no one wants and consequent low standard of living.

We should develop a system of politics that is modern and suited to us and move away from the one we inherited. What we have now is a race based two party shouting match. I profess that their is a link between failed politics and crime. Then what about the broken justice system? Justice should not depend on being able to afford the best and expensive lawyers. Justice is about being right or wrong and consequences and not the quality of your lawyer. Justice is not about finding loopholes in the laws. The system is inefficient and the laws are complicated.

Having functioning safety nets for those that fall through the cracks is important. Part of this is restorative justice that helps with recidivism. Then there are the social support initiatives. Persons must feel cared for and have options for support. Persons must not feel alone and troubled to decide to turn to wrong deeds for help. We must recognise and promote the good work of NGOs and forward wanting to volunteer. Then there is family planning and we have to invest heavily into this. It takes a village to raise a child and we have to be our brothers keeper. We must create a culture of mediation. People must allow conflict resolution instead of turning to violence.

Let's say that we accept that life is unfair and that it is a rat race and that we are just crabs in a barrel trying to get out. Some are able to amass great wealth leaving others to make do with what is left. We don't have to let life make us jaded and apathetic. My religion teaches me that life is a test whether rich or poor and that the real rewards are in the hereafter. We are here to work towards our goals. We dont have to make status and wealth the only definition of success. We don't have to be attracted to a life of crime. We can find purpose and reward and contentment regardless. There is more benefit in working to change the system than in trying to beat the system. There is some amount of personal responsibility also. Let us all work together to make positive changes for the betterment of all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...