Skip to main content

Becoming a paperless society in Trinidad and Tobago - SWMCOL answered some questions I had

The idea behind a paperless Trinidad (for me as a citizen and tech blogger) is that paper transactions be replaced with electronic transactions, receipts and documents. For example if I purchase from a supermarket, the receipt can be sent to my smartphone. Other examples are etextbooks and epapers. Google "paperless society" to see articles on this and the benefits of this.

These are the questions I have

How much paper waste is generated annually in Trinidad and Tobago?

A waste characterisation study (CBCL Waste Characterization Study, 2010) conducted in 2010 reported that approximately 700,000 tonnes of solid waste were recorded reaching the landfill sites in Trinidad during the same year. Tobago recorded approximately 17,228 tonnes deposited at the Studley Park landfill site. The data on Trinidad shows that organics, plastics, paper and glass dominate the waste type distribution of the samples analysed. 84% of the items were considered as recyclable and could be diverted from the landfill. Paper and Paperboard and plastics represent approximately 52% of the waste disposed at the Studley Park disposal site. Another 25% is represented by organic wastes.

Based on the aforementioned study, in Trinidad, paper constituted for approximately 18.77% of the waste that reached the landfill.

In Tobago, an average of 29.9% of the wastes reaching the landfill was paper.

Please see the link below:

What does a paperless Trinidad mean to SWMCOL?

Minimizing waste is a key step to reducing our Carbon Footprint and any effort to achieve this, whether by going paperless, refusing single-use plastics, switching to reusable products, and any other environmentally conscious lifestyle change is endorsed by SWMCOL.

It may be impossible to go completely paperless, but we can conserve resources by reducing unnecessary usage and employ the use of recycled paper, or paper made from other resources.

SWMCOL’s mandate focuses on waste management in that our attention is on materials at the “end of life” stage. As such, an extensive discussion on going paperless is best addressed with the sources of paper waste and the manufacturing industry.

What has SWMCOL done to reduce paper usage and paper waste in Trinidad and Tobago?

We conduct Public Education Outreach programmes at primary, secondary, tertiary schools across the twin-island.

We have introduced recycling programmes which includes paper collection with Government and State entities, private sector and municipal corporations, kindly refer to the links below:   

SWMCOL has been involved in paper recovery since 1991 and has partnered with ACE Recycling, now known as Mega Recycling Ltd.




Any plans to promote a paperless society?

We support any positive paradigm shift and waste management effort to reduce, reuse, recycle or divert waste items. Company and individuals that are taking steps toward a paperless society have our support as this is in the best interest to the environment.

What benefits do you see from a paperless society?

There are numerous benefits to having a paperless society – reducing our carbon footprint and decreasing the amount of waste going to the landfills being a few.

Is this something that the SWMCOL would have to collaborate with the Ministry of Digital Transformation or EMA?

As your partner in defence of the environment we are open to all collaborations that would benefit the environment.

It is clear that our Government’s intention is to keep the environment at the centre of all transactions and this aids in achieving Vision 2030.

Anything else you would like to add?

We would like to reiterate that SWMCOL is a waste management company, and many changes would have to be incorporated from the initial stages such as manufacturing in order for a paperless society to be successfully achieved.

We commend you for your interest in the topic at hand and encourage you to continue your journey with us in achieving sustainability.

Please follow us on social media and visit our website for more information and updates on our events and activities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...