Skip to main content

Diversity of thought

My art piece "butterflies in my mind"

It is a comforting Saturday on the island. Plenty of thoughts are going through my beautiful mind. Reminds me of my art piece, "butterflies in my mind", that I have included in this blog post. I admire persons who talk their mind. I admire when persons are allowed to talk freely. It is nice when we are allowed to be ourselves. Otherwise it is a struggle. We have to navigate the agendas and biases and fit the moulds. It can feel like walking on eggshells. We have to tow the line.

I like to hear all sides. I promote diversity of thougth. We come from different backgrounds. We were dealt different cards. We experience life differently. We are varied perspectives. I want to encourage persons to share their ideas. Diversity of thought encourages creativity and solutions. Never think that your different is not welcomed and not needed. Great minds think differently.

I like this quote from Malcolm Forbes, "Diversity: the art of thinking independently together." At the end of the day, we need each other. We depend on each other. Our input matters. Sometimes I feel discouraged. Sometimes I feel misunderstood. Sometimes I feel like persons are just wanting me to fail. Not everyone is going to feel you and that is ok. Not everyone is going to value you and that is ok. That is diversity and we are free to like and dislike. We are free to encourage and criticise. I prefer constructive criticism though.

I know my goals. I know my intentions. I know my value. I am free to be the greatest. I will continue to share me. I will continue to contribute my thoughts. I will continue to think that I can make a difference. Trinidad and Tobago is a melting pot. In my recent youtube video I had to point out that not every trini is bubbly and outgoing. Some trinis are more quiet and awkward and that is ok. The doubles man tell me I could pass for a Spanish. I told him I have French and Portuguese and Indian in me. I am a pot of callaloo. We are diverse peoples. There is strength in diversity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...