Skip to main content

Twitter we love you. Please stay for us!


I started this blog post in my head on my way to the doubles man this morning. Twitter was trending on Twitter late into the night and this morning. Oh the irony. I was kept awake by the tweets and I went to sleep at about 2am. Many were left to wonder if this was going to be the end of Twitter. Twitter was bought by Elon Musk and some investors. Elon brings his style of control and his ideas. He promotes free speech and has been controversial in words and actions. Twitter has lost advertising revenue, cut staff and experimented with the verification badge, among other things.

Elon is one of the richest persons in the world and has had much success with his companies Tesla and Space X. Not everyone likes Elon. I have mixed feelings about Elon. I like that he speaks his mind, that he is open to challenges and that he is not afraid to experiment. On the other hand, I find that he should handle the employees at Twitter with care and that he should be open to criticism. I want him to succeed. I want Twitter to succeed.

Twitter is my favourite social media platform. Twitter is simple, real-time and minimalist. I enjoy following trending topics and being part of events through Twitter. I started using Twitter on MAR 19 2008 (14.67 years since). My first tweet was "Just because everyone else is doing it." Twitter was started in 2006 by Jack Dorsey and Biz Stone. They gave themselves 2 weeks to develop an MVP. There is an early sketch of the Twitter idea on Jack's flickr.

Twitter gives us a voice. Twitter has brought the world together. The World Cup is starting on the weekend and Twitter will be the center of how many persons enjoy the World Cup. The outpouring of love as Twitter and Elon face their challenges is proof to me that Twitter has been a positive force for many. Twitter cannot be replaced. One of the best advice that I have received and that I have shared several times is something I came across on twitter. Dr Tariq Khokhar advises developers to make something that people will miss if it went away at the Developing Caribbean conference in 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...