Skip to main content

Digital Government in Trinidad and Tobago

What is digital government? Digital government is the use of digital technologies to deliver government services, information, and processes to citizens, businesses, and other government agencies. You will also hear the terms egovernment, digital nation, digital-first government and digitally enabled government in the discourse. For all this to work, widespread digital literacy is needed. We have to ensure that vulnerabled groups are not left out.

Trinidad ranks poorly in the UN 2022 egovernment index at 93. This index is a composite measure of three important dimensions of egovernment which are provision of online services, telecommunication connectivity and human capacity. We have a lot of work to do. We need all hands on deck.

In our politics there is much talk about constitutional reform. In my thinking we should develop a system of politics that is modern and suited to us and move away from the one we inherited. The government is the largest employer and manages huge budgets. So much of our lives are affected by the decisions and actions of government. In looking at digital government we must answer the why. Citizens are fed up of the bureaucracy and red tape. We want productivity and efficiency in government. We want cost savings and value for money. We want an open and transparent government where we have a say. We want a government we can trust and that is accountable to us. At the end of the day citizens want solutions to their problems.

The Ministry of Digital Transformation has been collecting ideas. How many and which ideas have been actioned? They should be telling us. These are the things that will encourage us to take part. The ministry promised they were going to be agile. The benefits of digital government are clear and we can learn from other countries and adapt to our needs. Estonia is seen as the most advanced digital government in the world. I understand that we are workly closely with that country in our digital transformation push. Our ministry has started on e-identity.

In my video that I shared more that 3 years ago I pointed out that technology is a pillar of any modern society. Tech and country development goes hand in hand. I have seen people comment that cultural change is needed and that we need to change the way we think. We have to become tech savvy. Ministries must be talking to each other. Much collaboration has to take place. We have to embrace our local developers. Make it easier to start a business. Customer service must become priority. We should be embracing work from home. Government must become innovative, disruptive and agile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...