Skip to main content

A culture of innovation in Trinidad and Tobago

Innovation put simply in my mind is new ways of doing things that adds value. This might be hard for the older generation to embrace but the next generation are ready and willing. Numerous studies have been done by the government on the topic of innovation and how to promote innovation. There is even the 2017 National Innovation Policy. This has led to the Shaping The Future of Innovation programme that was launched to develop the national innovation ecosystem. Some companies have already benefitted from funding.

We want to be globally competitive. We want to recognise and reward innovators. Having innovation hubs, networking events and conferences are some things that could promote innovation. How do we describe a culture of innovation? There is a willingness to experiment, plenty collaboration, openness to failure and sharing of ideas among other things. We are a creative and resilient people and this fits right in with a culture of innovation.

Innovation can help us tackle the growing list of problems we face in Trinidad and Tobago. We can't be doing the same things and expect different results. We have to innovate. Innovation is a continuous process and must be a big part of our culture. Thomas Edison once said, "There is a way to do it better. Find it." We must want to do things better. We must want change. We must understand our roles as agents of change.

Innovation has to be led by a purpose. At the core we want country development and prosperity. We want to live comfortable and meaningful lives. Innovation requires leaders that inspire us. Leaders that give us hope. Leaders that lead by example. Leaders that are listening to us. For innovation to work we need all hands on deck and inclusion and diversity are important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...