Skip to main content

Using Pagefind with 11ty in Termux

Also see previous blog post on how I got started with eleventy on Termux


The Pagefind npm package is just a wrapper for their binary. It does not work on Termux. What I had to do was build from source using

cargo install pagefind

The documentation for Pagefind is pretty useful and I started here


I got the following error when building with cargo

error occurred: Failed to find tool. Is 'aarch64-linux-android-ar' installed?

I found out that I had to install binutils

pkg install binutils

As it instructs you, make sure and add the bin folder to path so that you can run the pagefind command

export PATH=/data/data/com.termux/files/home/.cargo/bin:$PATH

The two things I needed was data-pagefind-body and data-pagefind-ignore because I only wanted the poem content to be indexed and because I deploy to github pages I had to specify baseUrl

The pagefind command that I used was as follows

pagefind --source "../docs/poems" --glob "**/*.*"

And because I am using pagefind to insert its javascript and css and other files after the 11ty build, I needed to ignore the build when launching in browser.

npx @11ty/eleventy --serve --ignore-initial

This is the result on github pages.


Initially github pages was not serving the css and js for pagefind. I figured out what was causing the problem. The pagefind folder begins with an underscore which is treated special by Jekyll. Jekyll is on by default on github pages. I had to turn this off by deploying a .nojekyll file to the root of my website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...