Skip to main content

Scrapping my broken laptop

I bought this laptop in 2016 when I started my consultancy. It is a Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274. It came with an i7 processor and 12 GB of RAM. My uncle help me with funds to buy it. I was in a rush of excitement and on a budget and I made a quick buy. It was not a good buy in hindsight. The speakers stopped working properly. The edge of the screen and hinge became broken. Keys stopped working and I had to use an external keyboard. The battery no longer holds charge. Years later it became extremely slow and unusable until one day it stopped working.

I did some research on youtube and came to the conclusion that I dont have the expertise or tools to fix this. It would cost money I dont have to fix. Even if I was able to fix it then something else would break and it would stop working. I gave up on this laptop and decided to take it apart and scrap it for learning and experience and curiosity. I have seen people create art by taking apart devices and framing it. I do everything on mobile phone now and I can get by. Apple or Dell or Samsung or any laptop maker, if you are reading this, maybe you can sponsor one of your latest fully speced out models. That would be greatly appreciated.

The CPU is soldered to the motherboard. The inside was not as dusty as I thought it might be for the length of time I had it. The CPU is tiny. The fan was dusty. The cooling system was very basic. The battery is removeable. The insides look cheaply made. The laptop uses Samsung branded memory. I will keep the 1 TB hard drive as backup. The laptop was easy to take apart, mostly a small phillips-head screw driver was all that was needed. What attracted me to this laptop was the high specs for the lower price. In hindsight maybe I should have gone for lower specs but better build quality and better parts. I was not thinking long term.

Nonetheless, I made many good memories with this laptop. I never named my laptop. Maybe I should give my laptop a name. My laptop was with me in Tobago as I sat outside skewers doing work. My laptop was part of my jam sessions listening to UB40 as I pretended to be a DJ. My laptop was with me when I went on a job site in deep south to setup a turnstile for a gym. I decorated the top of my laptop with stickers I got from Amazon as most coders do. Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.





Comments

Nasif said…
Very nice, the story is a sweet one. It's a shame the build quality was lacking but it seems to have helped with your journey a lot.

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...