Skip to main content

Book Review - The elephant whisperer

Lawrence (the writer) described the adventure as both physical and spiritual. This story takes place in majestic Africa. South Africa to be exact. The writer described elephants as the planets most powerful animal. I asked my friend Bard and was told that the African bush elephants are the largest land mammals, and they can weigh up to 12,000 pounds. They are also incredibly strong, and they can lift up to 9,000 pounds with their trunks. The writer mentioned "the magic of Africa" and I smiled because this fits with my feelings about the beautiful continent.

There was drama with the elephants from the get go when the elephants escaped. It kept me interested but I knew that this would not be the end for the elephants else the book would not be three hundred some pages and there would be no story to tell. I was engrossed in the story and I was deep into a world that was foreign to me. It was surely an adventure. When I reached the middle of chapter five by the time the animal psychic entered the story I began wondering if this was a fictional or real account of events.

Animals are beautiful. They just want to live and be free like we do. They have as much right to the Earth as we do. I came to learn that Thula Thula (the name of the game reserve) is the Zulu word for "peace and tranquillity". The writer was able to paint beautiful pictures of nature with an adventurous energy that I could appreciate. Working on a game reserve with wild animals was a dangerous undertaking and it helped that Lawrence was passionate about what he did. Animals try to understand us as we try to understand them and even make friends with them. I am reminded of my adventurous walks through the back roads of where I live trying to photograph any bird I could see. I was connecting with nature and this gives a nice feeling.

Shortly after the big rains of the story it began raining by me. The place turned dark and the writer was talking about spirits. I wondered if there was any meaning to this. I think of rains as blessings from above and it was a welcome reprieve from the hot spells we were having in Trinidad. There was even a flash of lightning and thunder that followed to add to the mystery. The writer's adventurous spirit meant lots of close calls and me saying, more than once, thank God things did not take a turn for the worst. Sadness did come and more than one time. A reminder that life does have its struggles and grief is a part of life.

I come away with a great appreciation for the world and work of conservationists. I got glimpses of life in that part of South Africa at that time. I left asking myself, what can nature and animals teach us? I am impressed that I can finish reading books in two days. To be with a book for more than a few hours a day is a good test of my patience. I plan to read many books in the coming months and share my reviews on this blog. I am reflecting on how the reading stand (where I am sourcing my books) has added a nice dimension to my life. I am enjoying getting lost in books and my love for reading books is growing. This no doubt will work well with my love for writing and my other loves and bring me success.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Loved it, informative and it's also so true. That grief is a part of life.

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...