Book Review - The elephant whisperer

Lawrence (the writer) described the adventure as both physical and spiritual. This story takes place in majestic Africa. South Africa to be exact. The writer described elephants as the planets most powerful animal. I asked my friend Bard and was told that the African bush elephants are the largest land mammals, and they can weigh up to 12,000 pounds. They are also incredibly strong, and they can lift up to 9,000 pounds with their trunks. The writer mentioned "the magic of Africa" and I smiled because this fits with my feelings about the beautiful continent.

There was drama with the elephants from the get go when the elephants escaped. It kept me interested but I knew that this would not be the end for the elephants else the book would not be three hundred some pages and there would be no story to tell. I was engrossed in the story and I was deep into a world that was foreign to me. It was surely an adventure. When I reached the middle of chapter five by the time the animal psychic entered the story I began wondering if this was a fictional or real account of events.

Animals are beautiful. They just want to live and be free like we do. They have as much right to the Earth as we do. I came to learn that Thula Thula (the name of the game reserve) is the Zulu word for "peace and tranquillity". The writer was able to paint beautiful pictures of nature with an adventurous energy that I could appreciate. Working on a game reserve with wild animals was a dangerous undertaking and it helped that Lawrence was passionate about what he did. Animals try to understand us as we try to understand them and even make friends with them. I am reminded of my adventurous walks through the back roads of where I live trying to photograph any bird I could see. I was connecting with nature and this gives a nice feeling.

Shortly after the big rains of the story it began raining by me. The place turned dark and the writer was talking about spirits. I wondered if there was any meaning to this. I think of rains as blessings from above and it was a welcome reprieve from the hot spells we were having in Trinidad. There was even a flash of lightning and thunder that followed to add to the mystery. The writer's adventurous spirit meant lots of close calls and me saying, more than once, thank God things did not take a turn for the worst. Sadness did come and more than one time. A reminder that life does have its struggles and grief is a part of life.

I come away with a great appreciation for the world and work of conservationists. I got glimpses of life in that part of South Africa at that time. I left asking myself, what can nature and animals teach us? I am impressed that I can finish reading books in two days. To be with a book for more than a few hours a day is a good test of my patience. I plan to read many books in the coming months and share my reviews on this blog. I am reflecting on how the reading stand (where I am sourcing my books) has added a nice dimension to my life. I am enjoying getting lost in books and my love for reading books is growing. This no doubt will work well with my love for writing and my other loves and bring me success.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Loved it, informative and it's also so true. That grief is a part of life.

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now