Book Review - The measure of a man - a spiritual autobiography

It took two days to complete reading this book. My review is really from my notes as I read the book. I read with an open mind and I set out to absorb as much as I could. I love that he acknowledged his wife for her love and support at the beginning of the book. The book had me questioning my own values and virtues. I felt his humility from the get go. I got a sense of calming and authenticity from his words. He had me thinking about how much of our being is influenced by our environment and nurturing during our formative years.

He was not afraid to take chances from small and that inner child remains with us through adulthood. He had a good memory. Most of my younger days are a blur to me. Letting go has been a coping mechanism of mines for a long time. Letting go has affected my ability to hold on to memories and feel attachment. I reminded myself of the wanting to be grounded. To be appreciative of where we come from. To be rooted in sensibility and understanding.

Racism is horrible and it saddens me that it still exists today. The measure of society is in how we treat each other and how we treat others who are different from us. I admire Sidney's fighting spirit and strength and confidence and resilience and bravery. He was not going to wait for the world to change. Although I already knew he was a winner I was cheering him on as the story revealed itself. I was reading in the moment. Feeling his words and admiring the man.

As I follow his journey I stop to think about how the people and places and events shape us. They build our character and our being. They leave something with us as we do with them. The ripples of human existence. I hope Mister Poitier's word ripples through my being and positively shapes my flow. My spirit felt awakened by his introspection. He used "you know" quite a few times. I don't know why he did that, you know? Maybe he is asking if we can relate? Do you feel me, so to speak. As if we are having a conversation with him.

I like that he recognized his humanness and shortcomings but what was more important was that he tried his best. As he described it in the last sentence of the book, an unending struggle against imperfections. It is a blessing to be able to read the thoughts of the greats through books. Sidney saw great value in doing great work. It represented who he was as a man. He was to provide for his children and family as he saw his father do. He had a purpose and that is one of the takeaways for me, what is my purpose?

When I reflect and think about how this book has shaped me this is the essence of it - I do not know if I am successful enough or if I am man enough but I tried and I am to keep trying, you know? Why try? Why find purpose and have values? Life is a gift and we don't want to waste it. A gift from God. Gift giving is an act of love. When we get love we give love and it spreads like ripples in a pond of water. We are all different but at the same time all the same. We are one. Sidney also wondered about the meaning of life. Maybe we are not to find the meaning of life but give meaning to life. I can find no better meaning to give than love. In the last chapter Sidney talks about humanity's relentless pursuit of answers. I like this line, "It's up to me to take my own measure, to claim what's real, to answer for myself."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you enjoy it. Makes me want to try it out too!

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now