Skip to main content

Book Review - The measure of a man - a spiritual autobiography

It took two days to complete reading this book. My review is really from my notes as I read the book. I read with an open mind and I set out to absorb as much as I could. I love that he acknowledged his wife for her love and support at the beginning of the book. The book had me questioning my own values and virtues. I felt his humility from the get go. I got a sense of calming and authenticity from his words. He had me thinking about how much of our being is influenced by our environment and nurturing during our formative years.

He was not afraid to take chances from small and that inner child remains with us through adulthood. He had a good memory. Most of my younger days are a blur to me. Letting go has been a coping mechanism of mines for a long time. Letting go has affected my ability to hold on to memories and feel attachment. I reminded myself of the wanting to be grounded. To be appreciative of where we come from. To be rooted in sensibility and understanding.

Racism is horrible and it saddens me that it still exists today. The measure of society is in how we treat each other and how we treat others who are different from us. I admire Sidney's fighting spirit and strength and confidence and resilience and bravery. He was not going to wait for the world to change. Although I already knew he was a winner I was cheering him on as the story revealed itself. I was reading in the moment. Feeling his words and admiring the man.

As I follow his journey I stop to think about how the people and places and events shape us. They build our character and our being. They leave something with us as we do with them. The ripples of human existence. I hope Mister Poitier's word ripples through my being and positively shapes my flow. My spirit felt awakened by his introspection. He used "you know" quite a few times. I don't know why he did that, you know? Maybe he is asking if we can relate? Do you feel me, so to speak. As if we are having a conversation with him.

I like that he recognized his humanness and shortcomings but what was more important was that he tried his best. As he described it in the last sentence of the book, an unending struggle against imperfections. It is a blessing to be able to read the thoughts of the greats through books. Sidney saw great value in doing great work. It represented who he was as a man. He was to provide for his children and family as he saw his father do. He had a purpose and that is one of the takeaways for me, what is my purpose?

When I reflect and think about how this book has shaped me this is the essence of it - I do not know if I am successful enough or if I am man enough but I tried and I am to keep trying, you know? Why try? Why find purpose and have values? Life is a gift and we don't want to waste it. A gift from God. Gift giving is an act of love. When we get love we give love and it spreads like ripples in a pond of water. We are all different but at the same time all the same. We are one. Sidney also wondered about the meaning of life. Maybe we are not to find the meaning of life but give meaning to life. I can find no better meaning to give than love. In the last chapter Sidney talks about humanity's relentless pursuit of answers. I like this line, "It's up to me to take my own measure, to claim what's real, to answer for myself."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you enjoy it. Makes me want to try it out too!

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...